Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wht is query doing

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

please tell me wat exactly this query is fetching...am not able to understand the last line in the query

selcet f1,f2....fn

from table

where %_hints oracle 'INDEX ("T_00" "VBUKZT1" "VBUKZT2")

index ("T_01" "VBAK0") INDEX ("T_02" "VBPA0")

index ("T_03" "KNA1______0") INDEX ("T_04" "VBKD~0")'.

the above code was written in 2003 .

if we remove the above code (%_hints stmt), does it impact any performence issue?

regards,

dsk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kumar,

actually the % is used for character comparison. when we use % it means that any character may be there. if we do not use the '%' sign then the appropriate field in the table will not be found and data will not be fetched .

Hope this helps.

Please let me know about that.

Bye.

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kumar,

actually the % is used for character comparison. when we use % it means that any character may be there. if we do not use the '%' sign then the appropriate field in the table will not be found and data will not be fetched .

Hope this helps.

Please let me know about that.

Bye.

0 Kudos

The last line is an oracle hint.

It is meant to steer the SQL towards using a specific index when executing.

my question is if remove that stmt is there any performance issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

'%_hints' - this line send to optimizer which index wil be used in query (hard code use of index).

If you remove this string, that may be reduce performence issue. In any event, it is necessary to look code and indexes to tables.