cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard practise to make the APIs reusable ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In our project, we are using SAP portal as the front end with MDM. So, we are using Controller of the faceless Web Dynpro components (WDC) to define the methods to query the MDM repository using MDM java APIs. The data queried from the MDM repository is later set to WDC context.

I have a design concern here...

Later, if we need to use a different front end component(say Websphere portal), we have to change the entire java code that is written using MDM java apis. This is bcoz, I cannot use the WDC context with websphere portal.

What is the standard practise to make the APIs reusable with any front end technology? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Surendra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surendra,

Generally a Java Project is created for all the methods written using MDM Java APIs. The methods from this project can then be called from Webdynpro components. As we have now separated frontend from business implementation, we can easily reuse the MDM Java APIs methods with other frontends as required.

The data is sent and received from Webdynpro components to these MDM Java API methods using objects like maps, sets, lists, etc. The data from these objects can then be easily assigned to contexts in WDC.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Regards,

Rashmi Jadhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

Thanks for the response.

I would like to know, if there is any performance impact of passing the data in valueobjects, maps or lists? Sometimes the query can return huge result set.

Thanks,

Surendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surendra,

The calls to MDM server can be a bit time consuming, so to avoid frequent calls it is preferred to use Java collections instead of single objects. Reducing the number of calls to MDM Server will increase the response time of the application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rashmi Jadhav