cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master page file names

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone just confirm for me something that I have just come up against.

I created a new master page to replace common.master starting off with a copy of the latter.

Whilst the new master page residing in the theme directory functions fine - I notice that it is not listed for editing within the Webtools Admin > Layout > Themes > Masters tab.

I conclude that to avail of plugin modifications and any other Webtools based functionality for the new master file the original names must not be changed and I must therefore delete the original common.master and replace it with my master page similary named

In otherwords there will only ever be 12 master pages referred to in the 'Masters' tab and the file names (though not necessarily locations ) will always be the same

Am I right in this? and is this intentional by design?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geoff,

If you manually copied the file, I am not sure what has happened.

Typically, if you edit a master page in the admin area, it will copy the source master file to ~/assets/common/themes/mythemename/<webtoolsthemename.master>. Where webtoolsthemename.master is the name of the theme modified (yes it has to be the same name.)

If you are working with a copy of common.Master, then it needs to be named that, and to be used it must be in the assets/theme directory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shane for your prompt response.

Nothing 'happened' I just used a name other than common.master and changed the masterpage file reference in the aspx pages it was replacing common.master with.

Now I understand that modified master pages must still have the same names as the originals upon which they are based.

Geoff

Answers (0)