cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a number of questions, we have a SAP R/3 4.7x200 landscape that is currently Windows 2003 and SQL2000 both 32 bit, we want to do the following, move to Windows 2003 and SQL2005 64bit, perform a Unicode and ECC6.0 Upgrade.

here are the steps I am planning on new hardware

1. Migrate to 64bit

-install 64bit OS and SQL2006 64bit on new hardware

-export db from current 32 bit and import into 64 bit system

a. I am confused, I have seen threads where it appears this was done in house, do we need an SAP certified person to complete this task, this is a hetergenous copy? Note 82478

b. can we do this inhouse if we follow the SAP documentation and checklists provided and have their signoff with checks

- Run tests and then confirm process before real migration

2. Perform Unicode Upgrade

- run this on sandbox, test and verify

3. Perform ECC 6.0 upgrade

- run this on sandbox a no. of times confirm

- freezing development and starting with DEV (this is a small landscape, we can do this)

p.s can steps 2 and 3 be combined in one step, I have broken that out, to in my mind make it simpler to fix if anything breaks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand your requirments correctly. Your O/S remains on Windows - you just plan to move to a 64-Bit Architecture. In SAP terminology this is a Homogeneous System Copy and not a heterogeneous one. So, it is not a migration.

Only restriction over here is you cannot use Database Specific methods for example SQL Server Detach/Attach or Backup/Restore to build your new system. You will have to use SAP Specific tools i.e. R3load (which is called via SAPINST) to build your new SAP system on the 64-bit architecture.

Since, this is not a migration it is just a homogeneous system copy based on R3load you do not require a migration certified consultant neither a migartion key.

The second part - ECC 6.0 Upgrade and UNICODE Migration. You can use a two-pronged approach:

1. Move to UNICODE first when you build your 64-Bit environment, as you are on SAP 4.7 (Extension 200) you can move to UNICODE as UNICODE systems are supported as of WAS 6.20 - and your 4.7 system is on WAS 6.20.

2. Or you can do a CU&UC - Combined Upgrade and Unicode Conversion once you have moved to the 64-bit architecture.

Let me know if this answers your queries or else I can elaborate.

Please award points if this stuff is useful.

Thanks, Dibya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Only restriction over here is you cannot use Database Specific methods for example SQL Server Detach/Attach or Backup/Restore to build your new system. You will have to use SAP Specific tools i.e. R3load (which is called via SAPINST) to build your new SAP system on the 64-bit architecture.

Well - it is possible - technically - but not with a 6.20/6.40 release:

799058 - Setting Up Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Point II UPGRADE FROM MS SQL SERVER 2000 to MS SQL SERVER 2005

III HOMOGENEOUS SYSTEM COPY TO MS SQL SERVER 2005

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you can use CU&U approach for your environment.

Kindly read the oss note mentioned below

928729 - Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC) FAQ

Print Selected Notes (PDF)

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Amit