Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding of using indexes...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm wondering if one of my indexes are using or not... we are using the ST05 transaction but dont know how to see if the index is used or not...

Thanks In Advance

Best Regards

Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will find the index in the execution plan of your select statement.

Click on your statement in ST05 output > Do Explain>

Now in the execution plan look for INDEX UNIQUE SCAN --> it shows the index used next to it.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will find the index in the execution plan of your select statement.

Click on your statement in ST05 output > Do Explain>

Now in the execution plan look for INDEX UNIQUE SCAN --> it shows the index used next to it.

0 Kudos

Thanks Aparna,

But could explain me more further please...

Thanks In Advance

Juan

0 Kudos

The Explain tool shows which index will be used based on what you specify in the Where clause. u2018~0u2019 denotes that the primay key is being used. If the secondary index is used it will be shown here. You can crosscheck in se11 for your table to see exactly which index is used based on the INDEX UNIQUE SCAN.

You can check this blog for addtional info on ST05:

0 Kudos

Thank you very much!!!

But i have only one doubt..

This is how the select is showed with Explain:

SELECT "KUNNR"
 FROM "KNB1"
 WHERE "MANDT" = @P000 AND "KUNNR" = @P001 AND "BUKRS" = @P002 /* RFITEMAR 17 */

And when i click on SQL:

SQL explanation:                                                                                
SELECT "KUNNR"  FROM "KNB1"  WHERE "MANDT" = '500'  AND "KUNNR" = '0000012040'  AND "BUKRS" = '1000'  /* RFITEMAR 17  
        */
                                                                                SELECT                                                                                
Clustered Index Seek( KNB1.KNB1~0 ), SEEK:( PR6.dbo.KNB1.MANDT =CONVERT_IMPLICIT(varchar(8000), @1 ,0) AND  PR6.d 
        bo.KNB1.KUNNR =CONVERT_IMPLICIT(varchar(8000), @2 ,0) AND  PR6.dbo.KNB1.BUKRS =CONVERT_IMPLICIT(va             
     log.op: Clustered Index Seek  phys.op: Clustered Index Seek

I can see a:

Seek( KNB1.KNB1~0 )

Its mean that the primary indexes is used??

Thansk In Advance

Points assigned!!

0 Kudos

Yes. It is using the primary index. Ignore the multiple posts.

Edited by: Aparna Shekhar on Sep 8, 2008 10:40 AM

0 Kudos

Yes. It is using the primary index.

0 Kudos

Yes. It is using the primary index.