cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

log archive partition is full

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

In windows 2003 + db2 combination, archive log partition is full now so can anybody tell me how to archive the logs and delete it from DB2 system level.

I would appreciate the procedure with steps and prerequisite.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member640873
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

First make sure the log you would like to delete is no longer needed (e.g. for online backup, or restoring to a Point-In-Time).

The official command to delete the archive logs is the "PRUNE LOG" command:

db2 PRUNE LOGFILE PRIOE TO <log file name>

Please refer to the IBM Info Center for more information:

[http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.admin.doc/doc/r0001992.htm]

Regards,

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

The log files on E drive now I can take backup and shrink in order to have some free space .I would appreciate the proecure with steps

former_member640873
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Please refer to the

SAP® on IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database Administration Guide, section 8.2: DB2 Log File Management.

Regards,

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

I would be grateful If you tell me exactly what to be done and which commands to be followed with steps.

Thanks in advance

former_member640873
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

I am not sure about your current situation. So, I can only guess.

I supposed the drive that hold your log_archive directory becomes full at a certain point. When that happens, DB2 will keep on trying to archive the logs to the log_archive directory. And when it fails, the logs will stay in log_dir and thus your log_dir and gradually fill up log_dir until it is full as well.

Now that your log_archive has more space, DB2 will try to archive the logs from log_dir to log_archive again and in the end, all the archive logs that are supposed to be in log_archive should be in log_archive.

Once the logs are moved to log_archive. You can save them to a safe location (TSM or tape drives) OR "prune" them once you have determined that you don't need them any more.

Regards,

Answers (0)