cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sqlcli=> * -10709: Connection failed (RTE:database not running: no request

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting this error at the following points:

First when I login into the demodb by giving command, i don't get any error.

$ sqlcli -u MONA,RED -d DEMODB

and then try giving the following select command.

sqlcli=> SELECT zip, name, state FROM hotel.city WHERE name = 'Seattle';

• -10709: Connection failed (RTE:database not running: no request pipe) SQLSTATE:

Thinking that i have not connected to the database i give the foll command

sqlcli=> \c localhost -d DEMODB -u MONA,RED

then also i get the same error again.

But if i run the example program HelloWorld.cpp though SQLDBC which connects to DEMODB and show a simple 'Hello SAP DB' from DUAL table, i don't get any error which makes me assume database DEMODB is actually running.

Can someone help ?

I am from oracle background and new to MaxDB. In oracle when we use sqlplus username/pasword@ORACLE_SID and that goes through without any error, we know we can give SQL commands to the db. However while using sqlcli and it is not throwing any error at the time of logging in but throwing the error at the time of executing sql commands is confusing me.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Regards

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> First when I login into the demodb by giving command, i don't get any error.

>

> $ sqlcli -u MONA,RED -d DEMODB

>

> and then try giving the following select command.

>

> sqlcli=> SELECT zip, name, state FROM hotel.city WHERE name = 'Seattle';

> * -10709: Connection failed (RTE:database not running: no request pipe) SQLSTATE:

Yep - sqlcli does not immediately connect to the database.

After you get the "sqlcli =>" prompt you may press enter and sqlcli will actually perform the connect.

And yes, I find that odd as well.

> But if i run the example program HelloWorld.cpp though SQLDBC which connects to DEMODB and show a simple 'Hello SAP DB' from DUAL table, i don't get any error which makes me assume database DEMODB is actually running.

That's quite weired.

Please check if the xserver is running and perform a

db_state

in sqlcli.

> I am from oracle background and new to MaxDB.

So welcome aboard!

>In oracle when we use sqlplus username/pasword@ORACLE_SID and that goes through without any error, we know we can give SQL commands to the db. However while using sqlcli and it is not throwing any error at the time of logging in but throwing the error at the time of executing sql commands is confusing me.

As I wrote above the connect is only performed after the first "enter".

Anyhow, sqlcli is not comparable to SQL*Plus. It's just a very simple option to access data. It's not a reporting tool, it's not an administration tool. It's not the all-in-one-can-do-everything SQL*Plus.

But why don't you use the SQL Studio or even better the DB Studio? These tools are much more comfortable to use.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thank you very much for the all the info about the sqlcli. First of all let me admit i was doing a mistake i.e., the db name is 'MAXDB1' and not DEMODB. I think at the time of installation the default DB name taken was MAXDB1 where as all the documentation from MaxDB are referring to it as DEMODB.

So, "sqlcli -u MONA,RED -d MAXDB1" and pressing a enter after that solved my problem. I could give the command "SELECT zip, name, state FROM hotel.city WHERE name = 'Seattle'" and see the result. (';' is not expected by sqlcli)

Second thing that i noticed is about x_server. Fearing that the x_server is not running properly i tried stopping and then starting it.

$: x_server stop

12905 XSERVER stopped

$: x_server start

ERR 11779 NISERVER Error during startup:'dlopen failed:/opt/sdb/programs/lib/libsap'

WNG 12457 XSERVER NI Init: Automatic niserver start failed, rc = 1

WNG 12453 NISSLSRV NISSL Init: dlopen failed:/opt/sdb/programs/lib/libsap

12902 XSERVER started, 'X32/LINUX 7.6.03 Build 015-121-173-107'

$:

$: x_server stop

12905 XSERVER stopped

Points of concern here are:

1. The path is correct but the libsap is not present in the directory /opt/sdb/programs/lib/.

2. Even though stop succeeded and then start didn't succeed, how can stop succeed again, that to for the same pid 12905?

Regards

Raj

Answers (0)