cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variables in APD Query Design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's,

Can somebody please help me, in understanding the query design when we are using it as a source to apd. I have a scenario where i do some transformation using abap and then send the output to a pc file. However, i have huge data in the underlined multiprovider of a query( say 20 million) and the query is getting timed out.

The only way is to have query variables to be able to restrict the data. When I do that, the APD is not supporting. Did somebody came across these scenario's.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

can you please tell me if you are using BI oder BW ? In BI you can use variables in filter, in BW you can't.

If you have problems in an APD to get all the required data, check, if you have limited your load to only required fields. Always keep in mind that each step of an APD is done in memory. So if your system cannot provide enough memory, it starts swapping and become slow. To avoid this, try working with minimal fields.

If at all possible do not use a Query as Input. Use the Cube instead and apply filters in the next step. It seems that optimization then only collects the required data.

ABAP Steps are not of much use as a filter, because for them the whole content of the data source is read. So all is in memory, and only then the ABAP coding including the filter will apply.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jürgen

Edited by: Jürgen Kirsch on Sep 8, 2008 9:46 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Jurgen,

Its a very helpful answer. I placed the variables in the filter of BI 7.0 and it seems to be working.

Thanks again for your quick response.