cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO XI 3.0 - How remove node from cluster?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a test BO XI 3.0 test environment in which I've got 3 servers in a cluster. Each server has all the same services currently and so all 3 are also CMSes.

Now I want to remove from of the servers from the cluster. How do I remove the node entirely? I see how to delete the services/servers in the node but then there's just an empty node listed in the CMC and I see no way of removing that node.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To remove the node from a cluster you need to delete SIA from CCM or from serverconfig.sh if you are on Unix.

One requirement - you need to have at least one running CMS in this cluster.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's right Denis...

On the CCM in windows, stop the SIA, then click on the delete button in the CCM toolbar. In Unix, there're actually a removenode.sh script in your install directory that will remove the SIA and automatically update your ccm.config file.

Edited by: Will Munji on Sep 8, 2008 10:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahhh. Perfect!

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The suggested remove of the Node from the cluster worked fine.

However, new problem. One of the servers died completely and I can't remove the SIA agent on it. How do I remove it from the cluster in that case (when the entire server is dead and I can't get to it)?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what do you mean died completely ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Something happened with the entire server. I can't boot up to it at all. It's a Windows 2003 server and it no longer boots so I can't login to do anything with.

Yet, this was a node in a cluster. So I have no way of removing the SIA agent.

So now I need to build a new system and the node will be called something else.

When I have no way of removing the SIA agent of the failed server, how do I remove that node from the cluster?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm sure you've tried this... but just incase.... delete all servers tied to that node using the CMC.. then still from there, remove the SIA. I presume that the option of removing (deleting) a SIA with zero server exists...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been able to remove the servers from the cluster node via the CMC but since the physical server on which the SIA runs is dead (windows doesn't even boot on it anymore) I can't get to it to delete the SIA agent. So in CMC is always now shows an empty Node and I don't see any way to remove it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David - I faced the same issue and what I did was to recreate a SIA (from CCM) with the same name as already existed in the CMS database. Then I deleted it and this way was able to remove the node that was previously orphaned in the CMC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm I thought of doing that. But wanted to confirm if there was maybe a better way. Good to know I'm not alone and that it's worked for you. Guess that's what I'll try then.. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding your case, I tried Will's method, It does work well.

Just recreate the SIA(with the same name and configuration in your dead node) in the live node's ccm.

remember to CHECK the recreate SIA option in the first wizard screen.

And then delete it in the live node's ccm.

Double check that it is removed in the live cmc servers->nodes page

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, and that worked for me too, thanks all ! Stuart.

0 Kudos

Hello Will,

opening an old wound here. Im banging my head trying to do what you ask in this thread but I am not having any luck. BO xi 3.1 accidentally clustered a test host to our PROD cluster. I cannot recreate a new SIA period.. i go through the steps but when i click finish, im sent back to the CCM with the same SIA as i had prior. Why can i NOT create a "no servers" SIA to duplicate the one i need to delete?

Thank you in advance my good man.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Refer SAP Note: 1421652 - BOXI 31- How to remove a Node from a cluster?

Regards,

Talgan Kumar Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

This article doesnt exist any longer.Does any one know what it says. There should be a way to do a delete from the database. does anyone know the query?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you search for KBA's by "How to remove a Node from a cluster" - you'll see plenty of KB articles describing the process.

Another key word "adopt a node"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to this forum.

My case is different. I Uninstalled Business Objects R3.1 App from the server (clustered) before deleting the SIA.

Now, I still see the server and the node in CMC -> Servers.

Will deleting the servers from CMC will remove the node? Or is there a cleaner way to remove the node.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a situation very similar to this where a BIAR file was restored to a development system and the end result was we have two nodes in the cluster now that do not exist in this cluster.

I would like to remove these two nodes, and have tried the Adopt a Node feature, which is pretty much the method mentioned here, but I cannot get the SIA for the node to delete to create. Do I have to delete all of the servers from the node before I try to create the SIA for this node?

Thanks

Dennis

alexander_schuchman
Participant
0 Kudos

SAP Note 1406297 describes how to do this in the registry.

0001218472 How to change the default CMS name on the logon page for the InfoView or CMC

0001406297 How CMS cluster works when several servers are part of the cluster on Windows platform using Tomcat?

I also included two other notes of interest. Hope they help.

-Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I read the note, and this note seems to explain how to change the name of a cluster's CMS. I have the following,

Cluster with master and node - CMS name is correct, BIAR file that was restored included server groups from differrent environemnt so I have 4 nodes listed in the CMC when actually only two nodes are part of this cluster.

I would like to remove the two nodes that were inadvertantly added by the import of the BIAR file.

Thanks

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you figure out how to fix this? i am having the same issue.