cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal and Delimited text data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need to import delimited text data into Crystal Reports 2008. What is the best method?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

You can use the Access/Excel (DAO) connection. If you want to keep it as a .txt file, choose the Text option. You can also change the file extension to .csv and import it as an Excel file.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jason,

Maybe you can help with another question kind of related to the first. Basically I have some huge files I downloaded from the FDA as delimited text. I have moved them to Excel but they are too big to put on one tab, so I have about 13 tabs in one Excel file. I've gotten them into Crystal but each tab is a separate field. In other words I can't combine them into one report. Is there a way to combine them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Use MS Access instead.

If it's something you do on a regular basis, add the .txt file as a "Linked Table". That way, when you get a new file, you can simply overwrite the old file with the new. Because the new .txt file has the same name and location as the one it replaced Access will never know that anything has changed and will simply provide the new data.

Access is a MUCH better product than Excel for this type of operation.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to do the same thing. The file I am trying to read is a tilde (~) delimited file. Using this information, I've been able to read the text file in to my report. But, 2 questions:

1) It comes in as one long string that includes the tildes. How do I get it to break the string out into separate fields?

2) The input record is chopped at about 60 characters. Some of the records may be very long. How do I get it to read the entire text string and not truncate it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

N,

Are you using MS Access with yours as well?

If so, create a new link to your text document.

Choose "Delimited File"

Change the decimeter to a ~

Make sure all of your records are being split properly into the necessary columns.

Give the fields names if necessary

Finish

Hope this helps,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not using Access. Just want to read the text file "as is". We have a bunch of old legacy data that was offloaded from our mainframe into these tilde delimited text files. Would like to read them directly and not have to go through Access.

Thanks for your help.