Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Software Configuration Management for ABAP Development ?

Hi,

we are a software company selling a Data Capture Solution.

For this, we are currently in the process to develop an interface for transferring the extracted data into a customer's SAP R/3 system.

Since we want to develop this interface following certain software engineering principles, we are looking for a way to solve certain simple common Software Configuration Management issues, such as:

- Object Versioning (Similar to file versioning in classic software development): That means being able to:

-- Keep track WHO changed WHAT WHEN and WHY?

-- Revert to a former version of an object (e.g. when the fix of a former defect must be revoked for some reason)

-- Keep track which changes have been made for a certain Change Request (NOT meaning SAP Change Requests, but Change Request for our interface development)

- Label a certain version state as 'released' or 'tested' or whatever

- Perform a kind of 'Branching' (Classical Software Configuration Management task), e.g. when we release a version of our interface and start the development of a new version, we must open a 'Maintenance Branch' of our released version parallel to the ongoing development of the future release.

When I say 'Objects', I mean everything being concerned when developing something within R/3; that can be ABAP programs, forms, tables (structure and content(!)), etc.

We are using an SAP System version ECC 5.0 for development; as for now, we have come to the conclusion to use the versioning that comes with the Transforms, although they do not really cover the above requirements as we would like to.

Is there anybody out there who had the same idea and solved it somehow?

My impression is that in the SAP world, classical Software Configuration Management is not a part of the way of thinking; and that development for SAP R/3 has little in common with classical software development.

But maybe there is an add-on or some hidden features of NetWeaver or anything that can solve these issues.

Hope is the last to die...

Thank you very much for any feedback,

Regards,

Jörg

Tags:
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question