cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report that works in CMS doesn't work in VB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to get the VB viewer code from wssdk_net_samples_12 working on a report (with 1 parameter) I created against a postgres database but I keep getting the following error:

Message: "Failed to retrieve database logon info. Information is needed before this report can be processed. (WRE 02517)"

on this line:

Dim boDocInfo As DocumentInformation = boRepEng.GetDocumentInformation(repID, boMustFill, oActions, Nothing, Nothing)

The logon apprears to work properly. I've tested it against the standard 'World Sales Report' report.

My report works fine in Crystal Server 2008 with the parameter so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

The code to log into the DB is actually done after this code.

I'm actually at the end of what little wit I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J

Edited by: Jason Cameron on Sep 5, 2008 5:19 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

What version of VB are you using? Currently we do not have a .NET SDK for running reports from Crystal Reports Server 2008. We do have the .NET SDK for running stand-alone unmanaged reports. If you are using this I can point you to a logon sample if you like?

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

I'm using VB. net 2005(sp1) with Crystal Server 2008. If you can point me to a sample that'd be great. It's weird. I'm only getting that error on reports that I've created.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm using the trial version of Crystal Server 2008.

j

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

We currently do not have any supported SDK between Visual Studio .NET and Crystal Server 2008. There is going to be an expected release, we think may be in the quarter that will address this and give you the SDK you need.

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm, ouch.

Do you mean that there will be a SDK this quarter(before end of September)?

I'm going to have to keep plugging away then. I get the same issue in Java as well. It's downright bizarre. All I'm trying to do is run a report with parameters and have it spit back a PDF. I've got the logging in down pat. It looks like there's an issue with the boMustFill object.

Oh well looking forward to it... and if anyone happens to have an unsupported SDK (with instructions) I'll look at that too!

Thanks in advance,

J

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I would like to hope it will be by end of September but that is something that I cannot put my name to!

As for having issues doing this with Java (there is a Java SDK not a .NET SDK) I would recommend posting to the Java forums.

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm

Well I went to [https://boc.sdn.sap.com/developer/library/CR2008SDK] to see the sdk for report services and I'm directed to "SAP Support World!" (I know kind of sounds like a theme park.)

I can't seem to find the link to d/l the sdk in this new site. Where is it?

Thanks in advance,

j

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

If you go to [https://boc.sdn.sap.com/developer/library], then you should see the links for the Crystal Reports .NET and in-proc RAS .NET SDK documentation.

Some points on your original post:

• The .NET Framework is fully supported with Crystal Reports Server 2008 using the ReportEngine Web Services, which you were originally trying to use.

• I don't think PostgreSQL is currently yet on the supported platforms list.

• A future Service Pack for Crystal Reports Server 2008 should bring in support for the other .NET SDKs - Enterprise .NET SDK and Crystal Reports .NET Integration.

• End of September is the scheduled, but not confirmed, release of BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.0 Service Pack 1 - Crystal Reports Server 2008 Service Packs usually follows the release of Enterprise Service Packs.

By the way, would you be trying to call a parametrized stored procedure on PostgreSQL? Otherwise, how is the parameter being used in the report?

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried the web service tutorial and I got an error.

Dim boConnection As Connection = Nothing
Dim boConString As String = "http://localhost:8081/dswsbobje/services/Session"
boConnection = New Connection(boConString)

Dim boCredential As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.EnterpriseCredential

boCredential.Login = "Administrator"
boCredential.Password = "Password"

Dim boSession As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.Session(boConnection)

The last line is what caused the error:

CallStackTrace: "   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.Session.CreateStub()
   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Consumer..ctor(Connection objConnection, ConnectionState objConnectionState, String strWebServiceMethod)"
    CauseDetail: Nothing
    CauseException: "FileNotFoundException"
    CauseID: Nothing
    CauseMessage: "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Services3, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
    Data: {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal}
    HelpLink: Nothing
    ID: "http://session.dsws.businessobjects.com/2007/06/01/constructor"
    InnerException: Nothing
    Operation: "http://session.dsws.businessobjects.com/2007/06/01/constructor"
    Source: "DSWS Web Service Consumer"
    StackTrace: "   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Consumer..ctor(Connection objConnection, ConnectionState objConnectionState, String strWebServiceMethod)
   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.Session..ctor(Connection connection)
   at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\CRS2008T1\Default.aspx.vb:line 24"
    TargetSite: {System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo}
    WebServiceID: ""

Do I have to install WSE 3.0?

I was going to try and use the RAS again from scratch and see how my luck held out but I'm guessing in order to connect to Crystal Server 2008 I need to use WebServices. I tried the CR2008 SDK docs link at the bottom of the SDK screen but all the links on the resulting page seem to point to SAP World. Trying to find docs there is ... challenging.

I can use Crystal Reports with PostgreSQL with relatively few problems using a command object. At the moment my test report is just using a string to populate the where clause in a simple query. Nothing too complicated. (It works in stand-alone Crystal Reports as well as on the Crystal Server.)

J

Edited by: Jason Cameron on Sep 16, 2008 10:12 PM (RAS was a bad idea I think. Need to develop against CRS2008)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok quick update. Apparently the application requires WSE 3.0. Downloaded from Microsoft and it doesn't die on that line... yay! It dies on the next line (boo!):

Dim boSI As BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.SessionInfo = boSession.Login(boCredential)

Now I have a new error:

{"GetInstance exception (Error: WRE 99999)"}
    CallStackTrace: "   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Consumer.GetConsumer(String strWebServiceMethod, String strWSType, String strWSUrl)"
    CauseDetail: "constructor exception (Error: WRE 99999)"
    CauseException: "TargetInvocationException"
    CauseMessage: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."
    ID: "http://reportengine.dsws.businessobjects.com/2005/GetInstance"
    Operation: "http://reportengine.dsws.businessobjects.com/2005/GetInstance"
    StackTrace: "   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.Consumer.GetConsumer(String strWebServiceMethod, String strWSType, String strWSUrl)
   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.ReportEngine.GetInstance(Consumer consumer, String reportEngineURL)
   at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\CRS2008T1\Default.aspx.vb:line 31"
    TargetSite: {System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo}

No idea what this error means though.

J

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

XI 3.0 is supplied with two different versions of the Web Services .NET Consumer assemblies, one for .NET Framework 1.1 and the other for .NET Framework 2.0.

The one for 2.0 is indeed, as you say, compiled with WSE 3.0 and is required.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Would you double-check to see if that's the line where the exception is thrown?

It appears to be thrown where you're trying to retrieve the ReportEngine Web Service.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's the complete code I'm trying out.

Dim boSI As BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.SessionInfo = boSession.Login(boCredential)

'Report Engine
            Dim strBORepEngURL As String = boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("ReportEngine").ToString
            Dim boRepEng As ReportEngine.ReportEngine = ReportEngine.ReportEngine.GetInstance(boSession, strBORepEngURL)

'retrieve pdf
            Dim pdfViewSupport As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.ViewSupport
            With pdfViewSupport
                .OutputFormat = ReportEngine.OutputFormatType.PDF
                .ViewType = ReportEngine.ViewType.BINARY
                .ViewMode = ReportEngine.ViewModeType.DOCUMENT
            End With

Dim retBinView As New ReportEngine.RetrieveBinaryView
            retBinView.ViewSupport = pdfViewSupport
            Dim retBOData As New ReportEngine.RetrieveData
            retBOData.RetrieveView = retBinView

Dim docInfo As ReportEngine.DocumentInformation = boRepEng.GetDocumentInformation("1007", Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, retBOData)

'logout
            boSession.Logout()

Hmm you're right. It dies at the line:

Dim boRepEng As ReportEngine.ReportEngine = ReportEngine.ReportEngine.GetInstance(boSession, strBORepEngURL)

Now I installed CRS2008 server before VS2005. Does that make a difference?

J

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

The first thing I would do is print out the string

boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("ReportEngine").ToString

you're passing in. You'd likely see something unexpected.

The DSWS assemblies aren't placed in the GAC or registered with Visual Studio, so for Web Services the order of installation should not matter (it does for the Crystal SDKs).

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol! I just checked that out (~45 seconds ago).

As you suspected when I print strBORepEngURL I get "System.String[]". I thought it was weird that it was passing back an array. Actually when I was translating the code from C# to VB I thought it was just an array of characters aka string (which C++ is known to do). Now when I change that line to

Dim strBORepEngURL As String = boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("ReportEngine")(0)

it works as expected.

Ok I'm going to continue on with the tutorial example and if there are no more problems I'm going to be a very happy camper. (crossing fingers)

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow. Talk about coming full circle. I now run into the error I originally got when I tried to run the sample:

{"Failed to retrieve database logon info. Information is needed before this report can be processed. (WRE 02517)"}
    CallStackTrace: "com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException: Information is needed before this report can be processed.---- Error code:-2147213303 Error code name:invalidParameterField
	at com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException.throwReportSDKParameterFieldException(Unknown Source)
	at com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.ps.internal.f.a(Unknown Source)
	at com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.ps.internal.f.getPromptDatabaseLogOnInfos(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.Report.getDBLogonsInfo(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.DocumentAgent.handleRetrieveMustFillInfo(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.DocumentAgent.handleActions(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.CrystalReportEngineSoapImpl.getDocumentInformation(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineSoapImpl.getDocumentInformation(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineSkeleton.getDocumentInformationByMTOM(Unknown Source)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineMessageReceiverInOut.invokeBusinessLogic(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.java:42)
	at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:96)
	at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:145)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)
	at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:120)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
	at com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.common.axis.FlashFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
"
    CauseDetail: "Information is needed before this report can be processed."
    CauseException: "com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException"
    CauseMessage: "Information is needed before this report can be processed."
    ID: "2517"
    Message: "Failed to retrieve database logon info. Information is needed before this report can be processed. (WRE 02517)"
    Operation: "reportengine.dsws.businessobjects.com/getDocumentInformation"
    StackTrace: "   at BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.ReportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(String documentReference, RetrieveMustFillInfo retrieveMustFillInfo, Action[] actions, Navigate navigate, RetrieveData retrieveData)
   at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\CRS2008T1\Default.aspx.vb:line 61"
    TargetSite: {System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo}

And here is the code I'm running(The ID for the report I'm running is 1007.)

Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS
Partial Class _Default
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        Try
            'reportid is 1007
            'Connection

'Report Engine
            Dim strBORepEngURL As String = boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("ReportEngine")(0)

'Getting Prompts
            Dim fillInfo As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.RetrieveMustFillInfo
            Dim promtInfo As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.RetrievePromptsInfo
            fillInfo.RetrievePromptsInfo = promtInfo
            Dim actions(1) As BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.Action
            actions(0) = New BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.Refresh

'retrieve pdf
            Dim pdfViewSupport As New BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine.ViewSupport
            With pdfViewSupport
                .OutputFormat = ReportEngine.OutputFormatType.PDF
                .ViewType = ReportEngine.ViewType.BINARY
                .ViewMode = ReportEngine.ViewModeType.DOCUMENT
            End With

Dim retBinView As New ReportEngine.RetrieveBinaryView
            retBinView.ViewSupport = pdfViewSupport
            Dim retBOData As New ReportEngine.RetrieveData
            retBOData.RetrieveView = retBinView

Dim docInfo As ReportEngine.DocumentInformation = boRepEng.GetDocumentInformation("1007", fillInfo, actions, Nothing, retBOData)

'logout
            boSession.Logout()
        Catch ex As DSWSException
            Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)

End Try
    End Sub
End Class

Can anyone explain that error to me and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I thought I was passing in the correct info...

It's dying on: Dim docInfo As ReportEngine.DocumentInformation = boRepEng.GetDocumentInformation("1007", fillInfo, actions, Nothing, retBOData)

J

Edited by: Jason Cameron on Sep 17, 2008 8:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm well when I uncheck the Prompt when viewing I don't get an error (I don't get any prompts either.) It's only when I put Prompt when viewing that I get that error.

So in theory there's something in my parameter declaration in code that's wonky. (either that or the way the report was put into CMS is wonky which I doubt because I can run it fine in the CMS)

Having done all this work to just wind up at the same error is somewhat disheartening but at least I have some (vague) idea what's going on.

J

p.s. After this all I need to do is figure out how to save it to PDF and I'll be done! yay!

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Something to get you started - prompts, db logon then export to HTML:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) {

// Document path
    string crPath = FixedPaths.InfoObjects.ROOT_FOLDER + "/302782727/302782727_sp@SI_ID";

// Enterprise Web Services URL and Login Credentials.
    string boSessionURL = "http://tueda-bexir2s2:8080/dswsbobje/services/session";

string boCMSName    = "TUEDA-BEXIR2S2";
    string boAuthType   = "secEnterprise";
    string boUsername   = "Administrator";
    string boPassword   = "";

Session    boSession    = null;
    try {

// Logon to Enterprise

EnterpriseCredential boCredential = new EnterpriseCredential();
        boCredential.Domain   = boCMSName;
        boCredential.AuthType = boAuthType;
        boCredential.Login    = boUsername;
        boCredential.Password = boPassword;

boSession =  new Session(new Connection(boSessionURL));
        boSession.Login(boCredential);

// Retrieve Document CUID

BIPlatform biPlatform
            = BIPlatform.GetInstance(boSession, boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("BIPlatform")[0]);

ResponseHolder rh = biPlatform.Get(crPath, null);

string doc_cuid = rh.InfoObjects.InfoObject[0].CUID;

// Retrieve ReportEngine service.

ReportEngine reportEngine
            = ReportEngine.GetInstance(boSession, boSession.GetAssociatedServicesURL("ReportEngine")[0]);

// Refresh document and retrieve the prompts.

RetrieveMustFillInfo retrieveInfo = new RetrieveMustFillInfo();
        retrieveInfo.RetrievePromptsInfo = new RetrievePromptsInfo();

DocumentInformation doc
                = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(doc_cuid, null, new Action[] { new Refresh() }, null, null);
        string docRef = doc.DocumentReference;

doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, retrieveInfo, null, null, null);
        docRef = doc.DocumentReference;

int promptCount = doc.PromptInfo == null ? 0 : doc.PromptInfo.Length;

FillPrompt[] fillPromptList = new FillPrompt[promptCount];

int i = 0;
        foreach(PromptInfo promptInfo in doc.PromptInfo) {
            fillPromptList<i> = new FillPrompt();
            fillPromptList<i>.ID = promptInfo.ID;

DiscretePromptValue dvalue1, dvalue2;

dvalue1 = new DiscretePromptValue();
            dvalue1.Value = "5";
            fillPromptList<i>.Values = new PromptValue[] {dvalue1};
            i++;
            Response.Write(promptInfo.ID + "<BR>");
        }

FillPrompts fillPrompts = new FillPrompts();
        fillPrompts.FillPromptList = fillPromptList;

doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, null, new Action[] {fillPrompts}, null, null);

retrieveInfo = new RetrieveMustFillInfo();
        retrieveInfo.RetrieveDBLogonInfo = new RetrieveDBLogonInfo();

doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, retrieveInfo, null, null, null);

DBLogonInfo[] dbLogonInfos = doc.DBLogonInfos;

FillDBLogon[] dbLogon = new FillDBLogon[1];
		dbLogon[0] = new FillDBLogon();
        dbLogon[0].Name = dbLogonInfos[0].Name;
        dbLogon[0].UserName = "vantech";
        dbLogon[0].Password = "vantech";

FillDBLogons  dbLogons  = new FillDBLogons();
		dbLogons.FillDBLogonList = dbLogon;

doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, null, new Action[] { dbLogons} , null, null);

RetrieveData retrieveData = new RetrieveData();
        RetrieveView retrieveView = new RetrieveView();

ViewSupport viewSupport = new ViewSupport();
        viewSupport.OutputFormat = OutputFormatType.HTML;
        viewSupport.ViewType = ViewType.CHARACTER;
        viewSupport.ViewMode = ViewModeType.REPORT_PAGE;

retrieveView.ViewSupport = viewSupport;
        retrieveData.RetrieveView = retrieveView;

doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, null, null, null, retrieveData);
        String content = ((CharacterView) doc.View).Content;

// Close document connection.
        doc = reportEngine.GetDocumentInformation(docRef, null, new Action[] { new Close() }, null, null);

// Output view to web browser.
        Response.Write(content);

} finally {

if(boSession != null)
            boSession.Logout();

}

}

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ted for your sample, I was able to get it to run with relatively few modifications. (document path and CMS Name. Unfortunately it still dies at roughly the same place for me.

It's something to do with that retrieveInfo that's messing me up. It keeps telling me:

CauseException: "com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException"
    CauseID: null

J

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Where is the parameter in the report - is it a SQL Command Table parameter, stored procedure parameter, or a plain old regular parameter?

Are you using any dynamic parameters, such as dynamic cascading parameters?

If the parameter is dynamic, then that won't accessible supported through ReportEngine Web Services.

If not - do you have a support contract with SAP Business Objects? You can open a support ticket - SAP Incident - to have someone here look into this.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by "SQL Command Table parameter, stored procedure parameter, or a plain old regular parameter" so I'll just describe briefly a test report I'm using.

I'm using the database that you can connect to using the ODBC connection Xtreme Sample Database 11.

Once in the Standard Report Creation Wizard I clicked "Add Command".

I then typed in:

select * from Customer where [Customer ID] =

I created a number parameter custid so the resulting SQL is

select * from Customer where [Customer ID] = {?custid}

It works in Crystal. Is that considered a dynamic parameter?

J

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

You're using a parametrized SQL Command Table.

Are you using an older version of XI Release 2 or XI 3.0?

There was an issue with earlier editions of XI Release 2 where parametrized Command Tables and Stored Procedures would get issues similar to yours. It should be fixed in the latest Service Packs for XI Release 2 or for XI 3.0.

But my recommendation would be to not use a Command Table, but rather, allow Crystal Reports to generate the SQL itself - it'll generally more efficient. Then, you'd create the parameter field and specify the record selection formula in the report (using the Report Selection Formula menu option).

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

The report was created in Crystal Reports XI(11.0.0.2495).

The server is Crystal Reports Server 2008.

Usually I create an Stored Procedure and let Crystal do the rest. Our reports have to be multi-database though. So we're creating the SQL on the fly and sending it directly to Crystal. If that doesn't work I'll have to find a way around it. Ironically, I learned about that technique while working at BObj.

j

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I've tried to create as simple a test as possible.

I've started with two clean installs of XP. I installed CR2008 on one and CR2008 Server on the other.

My dev machine has Visual Studio 2005 with the latest SP and SQL 2005 with the latest SP.

I created a table(TestTable) with two columns (TestID int, TestName nvarchar(200)) and created the Stored Procedure TestGet(Select TestID, TestName from TestTable Where TestID=@TestID)

I created the report in CR2008 (with TestGet as the source) and uploaded it to CR2008 Server.

The report runs fine by itself in CR2008 and in CR2008 Server.

I ran Ted's code and it gets to the line:

with the error:

{"Failed to retrieve database logon info. Information is needed before this report can be processed. (WRE 02517)"}
    base {System.Exception}: {"Failed to retrieve database logon info. Information is needed before this report can be processed. (WRE 02517)"}
    CallStackTrace: "com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException: Information is needed before this report can be processed.---- Error code:-2147213303 Error code name:invalidParameterField\n\tat com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.report.lib.ReportSDKParameterFieldException.throwReportSDKParameterFieldException(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.ps.internal.f.a(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.crystaldecisions.sdk.occa.managedreports.ps.internal.f.getPromptDatabaseLogOnInfos(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.Report.getDBLogonsInfo(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.DocumentAgent.handleRetrieveMustFillInfo(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.DocumentAgent.handleActions(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.reportengine.CrystalReportEngineSoapImpl.getDocumentInformation(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineSoapImpl.getDocumentInfo
rmation(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineSkeleton.getDocumentInformationByMTOM(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.reportengine.ReportEngineMessageReceiverInOut.invokeBusinessLogic(Unknown Source)\n\tat org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.java:42)\n\tat org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:96)\n\tat org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:145)\n\tat org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)\n\tat org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:120)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do
Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)\n\tat com.businessobjects.dsws.wsc.common.axis.FlashFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Base
Protocol.java:664)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)\n\tat java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)\n"
    CauseDetail: "Information is needed before this report can be processed."
    CauseID: null
    Operation: "reportengine.dsws.businessobjects.com/getDocumentInformation"

I keep getting this WRE 02517 error and I have no idea what it is.

j

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again, I've not seen that document before. I'll reading up on it now.

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind but I am going to mark this posting as resolved. It appears you have resolved your original issue and have moved onto another part. If you still need help start a new post regarding your URL reporting question would be best. You may also want to search forums on the same, your questions may already be answered.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol! I didn't think my lowly thread was being watched by a moderator.

Sure it's been answered. Unfortunately I don't think I get any points because I answered it myself...

J

=:)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That would be great! Thanks a lot! .....my head feels bloody at this point from banging it against the wall so many times in the last couple of weeks....lol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm, I just checked and BObj has a pdf on [url Reporting|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi3-1_url_reporting_opendocument_en.pdf] on the main page. That's what I used to do it.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

I hate to sound helpless here, but do you have the code you are referring to that you were able to get working? Did you accomplish it by ignoring the BO dlls all together and using only their web services somehow?

-Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol! Don't worry about it. I was in the same boat a few months ago. I'll dig up the specs but CRS2008 does offer a web service that will spit back a report if you access it. The only problem I found was that it uses a GET and not a POST.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

Thanks for the post. I see that you've scheduled this but unfortunately I have to be able to display the report directly on the screen. Have you been able to get it to work without the scheduler?

-Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually did. Unfortunately it wraps it in an HTML wrapper. I needed the actual file. If that doesn't bother you then calling the web service directly is probably your easiest bet.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

'Hey there, sorry about the delay...and the mess. Here's my code and it still works! Ok some of this is 'mine, some of this is BObj's, and some of this was done by people here. I can't remember exactly who 'but if you recognize a piece of code in there that might be yours it probably is. Thanks. This is a pretty 'messy windows command-line app to schedule a report and put it in a specific location.

'j

Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform.Constants
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform.Desktop
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform.Dest
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.ReportEngine
Imports BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session
Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Configuration
Public Class ModuleMainClean

Private WS_URL_SESSION As String
    Private WS_URL_REPORTENGINE As String
    Private WS_URL_BIPLATFORM As String

Private REPORT_STRING As String
    Private REPORT_NAME As String

Private FILE_EXTENSION As String
    Private REPORT_FORMAT As ReportFormatEnum

Private bipService As BIPlatform
    Private boRepEng As ReportEngine
    Private wSession As Session
    Private gstrReportParameters() As String

Sub Main()
        SetupEnvironment()

Logon()
        Schedule()
    End Sub

Sub SetupEnvironment()
        Dim c As Integer
        WS_URL_SESSION = My.Settings.BaseURL + "Session"
        WS_URL_REPORTENGINE = My.Settings.BaseURL + "reportengine"
        WS_URL_BIPLATFORM = My.Settings.BaseURL + "BIPlatform"

REPORT_STRING = My.Application.CommandLineArgs(0)
        REPORT_NAME = My.Application.CommandLineArgs(1)
        REPORT_FORMAT = System.Enum.Parse(GetType(ReportFormatEnum), My.Application.CommandLineArgs(2))

Select Case REPORT_FORMAT
            Case ReportFormatEnum.CRYSTAL_REPORT
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".rpt"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.EXCEL, ReportFormatEnum.EXCEL_DATA_ONLY
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".xls"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.MHTML
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".mhtml"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.PDF
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".pdf"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.RTF, ReportFormatEnum.RTF_EDITABLE
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".rtf"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.TEXT_CHARACTER_SEPARATED, ReportFormatEnum.TEXT_PAGINATED, ReportFormatEnum.TEXT_PLAIN, ReportFormatEnum.TEXT_TAB_SEPARATED, ReportFormatEnum.TEXT_TAB_SEPARATED_TEXT
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".txt"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.USER_DEFINED
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".ud"
            Case ReportFormatEnum.WORD
                FILE_EXTENSION = ".doc"
        End Select

If My.Application.CommandLineArgs.Count > 3 Then
            ReDim gstrReportParameters(My.Application.CommandLineArgs.Count - 4)

For c = 0 To gstrReportParameters.GetUpperBound(0)
                gstrReportParameters(c) = My.Application.CommandLineArgs(c + 3)
            Next
        End If
    End Sub

Sub Logon()
        Dim wSession As BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.Session
        Try
            Dim boConnection As BusinessObjects.DSWS.Connection = New BusinessObjects.DSWS.Connection(WS_URL_SESSION)
            ' login to BusinessObjects Enterprise using web services
            Console.WriteLine("Logging into web service...")
            Dim credential As New EnterpriseCredential
            credential.Login = My.Settings.User_Name
            credential.Password = My.Settings.User_Password
            credential.Domain = My.Settings.Cluster_Name
            credential.AuthType = My.Settings.Authentication_Type
            wSession = New BusinessObjects.DSWS.Session.Session(boConnection)
            wSession.Login(credential)
            Console.WriteLine("Logged into web service.")

boConnection.URL = WS_URL_BIPLATFORM
            bipService = New BIPlatform(boConnection, wSession.ConnectionState)

boConnection.URL = WS_URL_REPORTENGINE
            boRepEng = New ReportEngine(boConnection, wSession.ConnectionState)

Console.Error.WriteLine(ex)
            Console.Error.WriteLine(ex.CauseDetail)
            Throw
        End Try
    End Sub
    Private Sub Schedule()
        Try
            Dim oGetOptions As New GetOptions
            oGetOptions.IncludeSecurity = False
            Dim crPath As String = "path://InfoObjects/Root Folder/SCH Reports/" + REPORT_STRING + "@SI_SCHEDULEINFO,SI_PROCESSINFO"
            Dim rh As ResponseHolder = bipService.Get(crPath, oGetOptions)
            Dim oInfoObjects As InfoObjects = rh.InfoObjects

Dim oReport As CrystalReport = oInfoObjects.InfoObject(0)
            oReport.Name = REPORT_NAME
            Dim oSchedulingInfo As New SchedulingInfo
            oReport.SchedulingInfo = oSchedulingInfo
            oReport.SchedulingInfo.RightNow = True

'************************************************************************************'
            'to schedule a report to pdf format, use the following code
            '************************************************************************************'
            Dim procInfo As ReportProcessingInfo = oReport.PluginProcessingInterface
            Dim repFormat As New CrystalReportFormatOptions
            repFormat.Format = REPORT_FORMAT
            repFormat.FormatSpecified = True
            procInfo.ReportFormatOptions = repFormat
            oReport.PluginProcessingInterface = procInfo

'to schedule to unmanaged disk, use the code below
            Dim oDestination(1) As Destination
            oDestination(0) = New Destination
            oDestination(0).Name = "CrystalEnterprise.DiskUnmanaged"
            Dim diskOptions As New DiskUnmanagedScheduleOptions
            Dim destinationFile(1) As String
            destinationFile(0) = My.Settings.Export_Location + oReport.Name + FILE_EXTENSION
            diskOptions.DestinationFiles = destinationFile
            oDestination(0).DestinationScheduleOptions = diskOptions
            oSchedulingInfo.Destinations = oDestination

'to schedule a report with discrete parameter information, use the following code snippet
            Dim repParams() As ReportParameter = procInfo.ReportParameters
            Dim oCurrentValues As New CurrentValues

Dim oPromptValue(gstrReportParameters.GetUpperBound(0)) As BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform.Desktop.PromptValue
            Dim c As Integer
            For c = 0 To oPromptValue.GetUpperBound(0)
                oPromptValue(c) = New BusinessObjects.DSWS.BIPlatform.Desktop.PromptValue
                oPromptValue(c).Data = gstrReportParameters(c)
            Next

oCurrentValues.CurrentValue = oPromptValue
            repParams(0).CurrentValues = oCurrentValues
            bipService.Schedule(oInfoObjects)

Console.Error.WriteLine(ex)
            Console.Error.WriteLine(ex.CauseDetail)
            Throw
        Finally
            If Not wSession Is Nothing Then
                wSession.Logout()
            End If
            Console.Write("Done")

End Try
    End Sub
End Class

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom, Elaine,

It took me a couple of months to get that PITA to work. Only caveat is that it was an evaluation version (I was working on it for a client) so I may have download it again if it expired. I'll try it again tonight and keep you guys posted.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

That would be great news if you did get it to work. After about a week and a half of working with Elaine in Tech Support we were still unable to get this working on the old CR2008 dlls.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sorry for the delay.

I did get this working for just plain old vanilla CRS2008. I'm going to load it up again tonight and see if it still works. I'll clean it up and post it if it does. It was pretty hairy but it worked.

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

This same topic was covered in both of the following threads. Just wanted to make sure that you found these as well since this thread appears to have been abandoned at this point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I've encountered the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I'm using the latest Crystal Reports 2008 (SP1) and Server 2008.

Any pointers to a solution is appreciated.

Thanks,

GR