cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Dynamic images in webfarm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm using Crystal reports for visual studio 2005, and when i deploy the reports the images are, SOMETIMES, showed as a red X. This because I have a 2 mirrored webservers, and when one server writes the dynamicimage to the temp catalogue the other server is trying to read from its c:/temp catalogue.

For example:

server1 writes the dynamic image to c:/temp in server1

server2 try to read the dynamic image from server2

MY QUESTION:

is there a way to tell crystal to write these images to file server like
myfileserver\crystaltemp (like a registry value, ini file, web.config, a workaround.........)??

Thanks in advance for helping me

I'm loosing my mind...

Edited by: janne Sossi on Sep 5, 2008 4:57 PM

Edited by: janne Sossi on Sep 5, 2008 4:58 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You'll need to implement sticky sessions so that a users web session is always directed to the original web server. I know this defeats the purpose of a web farm but that is how the product works.

Sorry for the bad news.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you reply!!

I cannot believe that it is the only solution to the problem. It must be something else we can do.When you say "this produkt works", you mean Crystal for VS 2005 or Crystal in general? If it is so for all version of crystal Reports it can be considered A VERY BIG BUG.

Sorry, but I am very disappointed

Regards

/Janne

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Janne, there may be one way out of this - with two conditions:

1) A registry entry needs to be created on both servers

2) You will have to have a shared location accessible to the worker processes from both or more servers

The registry entry would be;

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\11.5\Report Application Server\Viewer

Then you have to create a new string value called CrystalImageDir and set the value to the share. Of course you will need to do this on all the servers that will run those reports. As mentioned above that worker process will have to have the necessary permissions to that share.

Hope this helps,

Ludek

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It looks like Janne might be using CR for .NET 2005 (version 10.2). The registry path would be HKLM\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\10.2\Report Application Server\Viewer. The string value name remains the same as CrystalImageDir.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

If you still get Red X even after you make the registry change, here's some troubleshooting tips outlining some common issues I've encountered with Customer Support cases for CR.NET on Web Farms:

1. Ensure the OS Identity running the Application Pool in the IIS_WPG group has network access rights.

2. Ensure the registry settings are set on all Web Farm member machines.

3. Use [Process Monitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx] on all Web Farm member machines, to see if you're getting an "Access Denied" on the image file read, or any issues in reading the registry key settings you've set.

Documentation for CR for VS 2005 and Web Farms:

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225439(VS.80).aspx]

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys, CR for VS 2005 seems not reading from that registry value, it still write to the variable named "TEMP" defined under "Environment variables"

Regards

/Janne

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tested this in-house and it worked for me.

Did you make sure to open up permissions for the shared directory you chose? If this is a file server you need to permit the ASPNET account from each computer to write to the directory.

I would suggest trying this to a non-standard temp directory on the web server first. Try C:\MyTemp and ensure the ASPNET account has full rights to the directory.

If that doesn't work please tell us what you've done so far. Be as detailed as possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so mutch! It sesolved my problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David/Ludek/Ted,

I'm facing the same issue with CR 13.06 and I've captured my case here http://scn.sap.com/thread/3520550. your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Raj

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not sure of the relationship between this one:

as it discusses install error 1904. And this one:

which discusses image issues..

I think creating a brand new discussion will be best. After you have applied SP 8:

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ludek,

In my CR 13 | .Net 4.0 | Web Farm | Dynamic Image | Shared Path | Query thread, I really wanted to refer to this thread somehow it got wrong reference. Please answer this question, Where should I configure the shared path for the image with the latest patch (yeah I did apply the latest CR patch), I have 5 web servers hosting crystal reports and I need them to use the common image share path.

Thank you,

Rajasimhan.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek or someone please answer my question.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm still not sure about the actual issue. I assume you are seeing red X instead of an image. But. What images? Images in your report from a database? Charts? Toolbar images? But have a look at the following re configuration of the CRVS viewer"

Visual Studio 2012 Crystal Report not working on Windows Server 2012/ 0x800a1391 – JavaScr...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

I'm loading Logo (image) in a report and the image was added during design time (I even tried adding it at runtime from code by passing image location as a parameter and binding the parameter with the Image object and then I realized no matter how I add logo to my report, image rendering in CR is dynamically handled only through Crystal image handler with guid),

I'm assuming CR handler creates a copy of this image(?) at runtime and places it in Temp folder (crystal image directory?) on the machine where the report is hosted and assigns a guid to access the image and my problem is in web farm environment, when image generated by CR handler Is available in another server, unless we have sticky session, we will not be able to load the image from right server (I get the Red X instead of logo unless the load balancer hits the right server where the image was generated by CR handler) so as explained in this thread I'm trying to configure all the webservers shares a common location  Crystal image directory.

Please let me know what options I've have.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must use sticky sessions. See:

and more...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, I agree sticky session will solve it, but, in one of your responses you did suggest an alternative to sticky session:

Janne, there may be one way out of this - with two conditions:

1) A registry entry needs to be created on both servers

2) You will have to have a shared location accessible to the worker processes from both or more servers

The registry entry would be;

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\11.5\Report Application Server\Viewer

Then you have to create a new string value called CrystalImageDir and set the value to the share. Of course you will need to do this on all the servers that will run those reports. As mentioned above that worker process will have to have the necessary permissions to that share.

Hope this helps,

Ludek

My question is "what is the equivalent registry path (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\11.5\Report Application Server\Viewer ) in CR 13". I tried I creating in this path and its not working  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Report Application Server\Viewer"

Answers (0)