cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous system copy on windows abap + java with a backup online

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus, I need to perform a refresh (HSC) from our production to our test system. we have a daily backup online that I want to use for restoring the test system .

from the procedure it's not clear how to proceed .

as my point of view i should say :

1) perform a restore redirect using backup online

2) export on the production the java side using database specific tools

3) import the java side on the restored database (when it stops to ask me to restore database i will use the backup created by the export procedure)

4) apply all the logs to the end of export of java to put the database in a consistente state

5) finish the procedure of import

my question marks are related to the step 2) and 3) . the restored database will keep the data of java side from the second backup (export) run by sapinst?

and.. do I have to apply logs till the export is finished to put db in a consistente state?

someone of you have performed it once ?

any advice is greatly apprechated

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

question answered

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the only way of doing supported system copies of combined instances (ABAP + Java) is to use sapinst.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

thanks for your interventation.,

It's clear we have used sapinst . Just for the ones that have DB2 (DB6) my advice is to perform the export on the production system selecting system copy was abap and java e USE DATABASE specific tool . So this will export only the content of java filesytems .

In the destination system perform a system copy with sapinst using the option again USE database specific tool and using as connection user the scheme and the passord of produciont system (or source system). Then the procedure wil stop and ask you to perform the redirect restore . then

1) drop your database (this will not drop your sapdata - do not drop your sapdata manually, it will be overwritten )

2) create your database (it's clear it will be a sort of dummy database)

3) perform the redirect restore (use db2 command list utilities show details to see your restore running)

once database is up and all the post action for db2 have been performed (check if R3trans -d works)

go on with the other steps of sapinst to recreate java side .

former_member640873
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bruno,

Just like to add that part of the JAVA system actually reside in the database under the sap<sid>db schema. Your db backup should contain these tables/indexes under the sap<sid>db though.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,so just to be clear again

on the target system I have to execute

db2 drop database <SID> and following delete the content of sapdata?

I have seen on this website the possibility to execute the redirect restore using the comman "replace existing" . Can I apply this without deleting anything ?

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr9/pdf/letter/en_US/db2hae90.pdf

REPLACE EXISTING If a database with the same alias as the target database alias already exists, this parameter specifies that the restore utility is to replace the existing database with the restored database. This is useful for scripts that invoke the restore utility, because the command line processor will not prompt the user to verify deletion of an existing database.

For the java side , once the the restore redirect has been performed successful do I have to use the option for recreating the WAS AS JAVA only as system copy only? This will populate my java side correctly with the data of my exporting system?

best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have done the same thing.

One of our problems is :

The restored JAVA will have a different system # than the system # in the database.

Please help : how to resolve this difference? Thanks a lot!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christy,

really did not understand your issue.

Did uou have restore java fileysystems and you still have the SID of the source system? let me understand and I will help you soon.

regards

malte_schuenemann
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As for the redirected restore - using the REPLACE EXISTING clause will indeed overwrite the existing database. You do not need to drop the already existing database before. In any case, if you restore directly from TSM you will need a database to maintain TSM parameters required.

Regards, Malte

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bruno.

You use a database backup and a java export.

The java export is related to java files on the filesystem and is something different from a database backup.

So you just have to rollforward your database to the end of your logs.

Best regards,

Hinnerk

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Hinnerk,

your answer was very helpful. another clarification .

the destination system must be dropped BEFORE applying restore redirect? Or restore redirect will ovewrite all containers, the schemes etc etc ?

kind regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Normally, you should use a system copy to create a new system.

So choose a new SID for your target system or drop the old copy of your system.

Do not try to overwrite an old system copy.

Cheers,

Hinnnerk