cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subreports - passing of data

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am relatively new to the Clear Quest and Crystal Reports family of programs - so please be patient with my limited knowledge.

I am using Crystal Reports to design reports for the Clear Quest configuration management application.

I have been experimenting with subreports, and it appears that the same query used in the main report is used for the subreport.

It also appears that since the same query is used, the subreport gets the same data.

This seems to negate the benefit of using subreports.

Can anyone confirm this?

Is there any mechanism for using a different query for a subreport - than for the main report?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sean,

I understand what you are saying, but my working environment is complicated by the Clear Quest application.

Clear Quest does not allow you to directly connect to the data base - it "forwards" the data to your report via a "data file".

Are you familiar with the Clear Quest application?

Thanks!

Dan

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dan,

If I understand correctly you want to use a subreport that uses the same connection as the main report and that is what you currently have. However you are saying that the results in the subreport are the same as the main report.

1) Just to clarify, a subreport runs a separate query than the main report, even if the queries are the same.

2) If you are connecting to a Stored procedure in both the main and sub reports then it will return the same results.

3) Check the record selection formulas of the main and sub reports, are they the same? This is what will filter the data so if you have different filtering criteria for the subreport you will need to edit the selection formula for it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Since I am using CR under the "guise" of CQ - I have also posted this question on the CQ forum.

I have found out that in the CQ/CR world - there is only one query involved. The same query that is passed to the main report - is also passed to the subreport.

I guess this can be both good news and bad news - depending on your perspective.

The CR/CQ interaction provides very little flexibility for the report designer - you just get very constrained. You don't have direct access to the relational data base - or the SQL. You are "stuck" with the data that CQ provides to you.

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to reply - it is truly appreciated.

I consider this thread answered.

Dan Welfle

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Crystal Reports a subreport can connect to a completely different data source, and there are a few options (subreport links and shared variables) to pass data from the main report to the subreport. I would recomend looking at the Database Expert in the subreport and using it to point to a different database