cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing UserText (extra description) for Items

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In previous versions on DTW I was able to import long text into the OITM.UserText field displayed on the remarks tab. Whilst this field is still available within the oItems template the SDK help file indicates its a 10 character field and it does not accept long descriptions. Can any provide an alternative solution for importing the UserText? I have about 2000 items to update and I don't want to do it manually and I will not import straight into the SQL table.

I have used the DI Commander tool (Very useful) in the past and I was hoping to use that. Details of the DI commander can be found in this blog if you are unfamiliar with it

I'm unsure what code to type in to import the files.

Basically I have a spreadsheet containing Item Number and User Text (no header rows but I can add rows as per DTW templates if required) and I've called it c:itemdesc.txt (can be xls or csv if need be).

Can anyone please advise either the code that i need to type in the DI Commander or offer an alternative solution to update the field? The client is on SAP 2005a SP01 PL46 (SQL2005 database) and DTW is installed from that patch also.

Many thanks,

Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adrian,

It could be a bug.

I'm working with B1 2007A PL30 and the OITM.UserText field is 64000 characters long.

Regards,

Vítor Vieira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vitor,

The actual field from within SAP B1 is 64000 characters and it confirms this if you switch on System Information.

The problem is DTW has this as a 10 character field. If you look in the SDK help files at the DI-API reference for Items, it says the following for the OITM.UserText field:

Sets or returns a free text string for this item.

Length: 10 characters.

As I metioned, I have imported long descriptions previously so i'm unsure when this functionality changed.

Regards,

Adrian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

The client manually cut and pasted the long text onto the Remarks tab so for now I do not need to do this, however the question has not been answered and for future use it would be helpful to have an answer.

Regards,

Adrian