cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowness of one Apps Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have ECC 5.0 setup with CI(PRD) with 4 dialog instances.

Since morning one of the dialog instance is slow,when I checked the ST03 for performance this is what I found-:

Summary of avg workload (Avg Response times)

pecdiw02_XXX_13(DIA) : 619

pecprd00_XXX_10(PRD): 1,392

pecdiw01_XXX_14(DIA): 1,817

pecprd01_XXX_11(DIA): 4,713

pecprd02_XXX_12(DIA): 2,051

The server showing max response value 4,713 is slow.

How to proceed further to resolve this performance issue.

Regards,

Prashant.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Prashant,

could you provide me the following detail about your slow application server.(pecprd01_XXX_11(DIA): 4,713)

1. average response time(4,713)

2. average processing time,

3. cpu time,

4. db time

5. wait time

6. roll wait time

7. roll in time.

8. gui time

for the dialog task type.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

Pls find the values below-:

Steps: 17094

Avg Res Time : 4,271.3

Avg CPU Time: 239.9

Avg database time: 1098.8

wait time:435.8

Avg roll in time: 243.8

Avg Roll Wait time: 910.6

Gui time:809.7

One more thing to add our CI instance is on UNIX server and all 4 apps servers are on Windows platform..when I check SAPMNT at windows level for all apps servers dispatcher was showing in yellow colour....what could be the reason behind this.....is this a problem?

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still facing Slowness in our Apps server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prashant,

In sm50 tell me the number of work process you have.

I mean number of dialog,background,spool,etc

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

For our App server in SM50,We have -:

30 Dialog

6 Background

7 Update

2 Spool

In total we have 45 WP's.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing among all Dialog WP only 9-10 are at running state but in the ERR Column 7-8 errors are there with red mark , I don have ne idea for further analysis.Pls help

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prashant,

I guess your DIA wp is far too more.We have 9 Dia wp in ECC 4.6 and

19 in ECC6.

You said your 9-10 wp are in run state.Ideally it should not.

Check the parameters abap/heap_area_dia and abap/heap_area_nondia.

Please read the SAP notes:110172 and 552209.

In the mean time open a customer message to SAP.

Rest I am also searching,if I get something good will definitely share.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot ....be in touch untill we resolve this performance issue....I will keep updating you.

So, Should we reduce the number of Dialog WP in the APP Server?

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

One more thing ,we are using HP UNIX as our OS so could you pls help me in getting Unix related notes.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Prashant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prashant,

Sorry was bit busy.As of you asking for reduction of dialog wp,I can only advice you to open a customer message to SAP before making any such changes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Did you check the memory usage on the server when you have this issue? As far as dialog workprocess it depends on your requirement. Slowness can be because of in correct SAP parameter settings, Oracle bugs, OS parameters, Hardware, Customization....... Did you go through st03n and identified the long running transactions? Did you check their execution plans? If your Database is Oracle 10g then go through 830576. Update oracle statistics regular. Apply latest oracle patch sets.

Regards

KVR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KVR/Ashutosh

When we faced this issue I checked the memory usuage from ST06 ,regarding transactions I checked it from ST03 but there was no long running process executing at that time ,and CPU Idle time was showing 97% .How to check the execution plan of a transaction?Right now all the system are behaving fine ....I will monitor them today and let you know if we will face ne such issue.

One more doubt what does "Avg. Response time/dialog step" stands for in transaction ST03?

Soon I will open a message to SAP.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Few more thing I have noticed in my system when I checked ST02 for Buffer parameters Program,CUA and export/import "Swaps" value was showing in RED mark, This thing is happening in both CI and Application servers. Do you guys think this may affect the system performance?

Regards,

Prashant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you have this problem from st03n detailed analysis--> last minute's load > click on the particular app server and give some time interval check ok> under analysis view you can select time profile> now change the task type to dialog-> when you double click on the time interval you will come to know which transaction is having high response time. And also check you if have free memory and Avg idle CPU is more than 50%. If you see some Z transaction, check the execution plan from st04. There are many things to consider, just mentioned few of them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan/KVR,

We are using ECC 5.0 and oracle 9i as database.Could you pls suggest me some links for performance tuning.

Pls tell me the steps to follow if system is slow....I don't have much exp in performance tuning area.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go through SAP Note 618868. Also check all the related SAP notes given in this note.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are again facing the slowness ,currently one of our app server is showing high dialog response time of around 12456 but CPU % Idle is showing 97% and system is very slow.

What could be the reason behind this?

I have already checked the network rate its fine plus no of users logined are also very less and there is no ZREPORT running in background...but in SM50 many work processes are showing 5-6 errors with red mark......pls suggest

Regards,

Prashant

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You really think we can help you by looking at the response time? you need to give us more info than that...

basically it could be almost anything... from other processes taking resources at OS level, network issues, long running jobs, updates or patching been done at OS level, hanging processes, etc...

Check your OS, check how many users are logged on, what are they doing and how this can affect your performance...

Regards

Juan