cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payroll posting to FI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We have a problem when payroll posts to FI and I need your help in resolving it.

When FI blocks a cost center and payroll goes to post, we get an error message that says payroll can't post to a blocked cost center.

I know the logical answer is to tell FI to open the cost center and let us post but FI doesn't want to keep doing it every time there is a posting error. We have explained to them that because we do retros and such, there may always be a chance that we will need to post to a blocked cost center.

Is there any way around this situation? How are the others handling this? Is there a setting in payroll somewhere that we can set to allow for posting? Please help! I'm fairly new to payroll and this issue has become a pain point for us.

Thanks, Suparna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suparna,

This scenario is very common. We can configure this using "Set up Substitute Cost centers" in img~> PY> PY-US~> Posting to FI ~~> Activities in AC System ~~> Setup Substitute Cost centers.

During retros and any posting scenario If this master cost center is in a different company code due to company restructuring, or cannot be posted to (locked, deleted, delimited), the system posts to a substitute cost center.

Good Luck.

-Harsha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you for you assistance.

One question though. I have asked my FI team about substitute cost centers and they say that having that is not a good alternative because that just makes it a different cost center they have to watch instead of the blocked one.

Not being an FI person, is there a way to block anyone but payroll from posting to a substitute cost center?

I'm fairly new to SAP and don't know much about substitute cost centers.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Suparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was also with the same issue, and happen to get some relief with the table V_TKA30 (though it might not be a right solution for you Suparna)

what we proposed to business was, asked them not to deactivate the cost center at all and have the retro amount manually reposted to old cost center and with table V_TKA30, assign gl to new cost center.

yes, the considering the volume and time for reposting, we dont seem to have an alternative till date is what i heard of, as table V_TKA30 is not date delimited.

our client was going through this process as of now, though its a huge govt org in UK...

fyi...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Honcho,

Thank you for your answer however, I need some clarification.

When you say 'deactivate the cost center' do you mean delimit? Our FI team blocks it not delimits it.

Also, at our company we have multiple cost centers assigned to a GL so I don't know if that would work for us.

Do you use IT0027 to assign cost centers as well? In our case we have IT0001 has a cost center but the expenses go to the cost center assigned on IT0027. Does that have any impact on anything?

Thanks,

Suparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I meant blocking cost center too when i said deactivate.

we didnt had IT 27 at all and FI maintained WBS for cost centers for reporting on costs.

sorry, can't give much lead on your situation, though.

Thanks

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone that answered. It appears that we can use some of the suggestions you mentioned. Now it will be a business decision to choose one of them!

Thank you,

Suparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suparna,

May be you call tell FI instead of blocking the cost center why dont they delimit it with their desired date. That way they will have cost center closed and even you will be able to post retro.

Essentially they will need to open it if there is historical audit and reporting.

I hope this helps.

Arti

sikindar_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check is there any change in GL from the previous posting

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The employee has been moved from one cost center to another but since they had a master data change that goes back to a prior period, their old cost center is what the system is looking at.

For example: Employee belongs to cost center A from 1/1-6/30 (which is now blocked) and then cost center B from 7/1 to present. Manager puts in a pay increase effective 5/1. Therefore when the check is created, the system has performed a retro. The expenses try and post to the old cost center for those dollars from 5/1 to 6/30 and then the new one after. Since the old cost center is now blocked we get an error message.

Does that help explain what our issue is?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not aware of any solution other than to have them reopen the blocked cost center. I understand that FI will be worried about the volume, but in my experience, it is never that great. Something to maybe look at is their practice of when they close no longer valid cost centers. They may not be leaving enough time for last minute costs to come through.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. That was what I was afraid of.

Although, it's not so much that they aren't leaving enough time. Unfortunately our business practice is such that a manager or HR can have a master data change effective in the past. So there isn't really a good time to 'close' the cost center.

Thanks again for your help.

Suparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very true, there is never a good time...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you trying to post the arrears directly into the cost center or is the GL linked to the Cost Center? This is the Business process which needs to be clarified.

If you are posting it through a GL account then another cost center would be associated with that GL.

You may try these:

1. Check the validity of the cost center which you changed in IT 0027 using KS03.(check if it is active from the time the retro triggered)

2. Check with the responsible person for the cost center if he/she is ok with the retro postings in the current cost center.

3. change the start date of the latest cost center in IT0027.

Hope this helps,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The part that's erroring out is on the cost center. I believe since our wage types are mapped to GL and then GL is mapped to cost center the theory is that it should work if they change cost centers. But it doesn't. Of course I could be incorrect about our set up.

Let me look at our set up and I will let you know.

Thanks,

Suparna

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I had mentioned earlier, you may like to go to table TKA3G and make the config as per your requirements and see if this resolves the issue.

Hope this helps,

sikindar_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is there any change in the GL account compare the past with the present one

we had a similar issues where one GL account is blocked when i approched the FICO peple they said changes have been made to the the GL acoount so it has been blocked instead of the previous one thy have assigned new one

in order to check use T CODE FS00