cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture of ISA development environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to modify some jsp in Internet Sales 4.0. So I had a look at "Internet Sales 4.0 Dvpt & Extension guide.pdf" and "E-Selling - Building-Updating Mod. Internet Sales Web App.pdf" and there is still something that is not clear to me : in the examples they give in the pdf, the ISA build tool is always installed on the same host as the J2EE engine. Is this the usual way of setting up the environement ? Which is the best :

- ISA Build Tool & Eclipse on the PC / Remote J2EE engine. In this case I guess we need to share some folder on the J2EE engine to give access to the build tool

- ISA Build Tool on the J2EE engine & Eclipse on the PC. In this case we would need to copy the sources from the PC to the J2EE Engine before the build.

- ISA Build Tool, Eclipse & J2EE Engine. Then we would need to install a local J2EE engine on each developper's PC...

Second question : in the documentation then advise to work with Eclipse. I guess there is no problem with using Netweaver Developper Studio instead of Eclipse ?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Best Regards,

Julien

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julien,

if you're developing in a team I think the last suggestion is the best one. With this solution every developer can develop on his own without bothering any other (esp. in case of debugging). One developer of the team should be responsible for consilidation. This one should install the build tool on his machine. Furthermore one dedicated J2EE engine should be used for testing purposes.

Yes you can use the NWDS for developing and extending ISA. What I haven't tested is to create a web project from the sources. Has anyone done this yet?

HTH

Lars

PS: Don't forget the rewarding points if my answer was helpful;-)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member271246
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Julien

We face the same questions. What we did we had three given developers at one given time working on Internet Store. We installed the DEV Studio on each machine with which included the J2EE plus the ISA build tool. Before we had NWJDI we store the source code on a network file drive and establish a process for checking in/out code through the lead developer. We now store our source in NWJDI for versioning control only. We have a five server landscape SAP model here. DEV, TST, CON, QA, and PRD. As developers depending upon where we are at as a project after development the developer lead publishes the archive to either DEV or CON ISA instance. Our Basis team deploys the archive to the test, QA, and production environments.

I don't really see any problems with a central J2EE for the developers but the way we look at it was memory on a desktop is cheap, a lot cheaper than a server for the J2EE, especially when we were looking at a very few developers. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars, William,

thank you for your reactions. It's interesting to see that at least some people managed to make this ISA-specific development work

It seems that there is another possibility for the Java-based web interface of CRM : instead of ISA we may use an EP Business Package. The advantage would be that this kind of development would be more integrated in NWDS : we import the standard .par file in NWDS, modify it and generate a new .par.

Has one of you heard about this possibility ?

Regards,

Julien

former_member271246
Participant
0 Kudos

If I understand your question correctly. Yes you can pull certain par files from EP and modifiy them within NWDS. But a word of caution is to make copies of SAP par files, renaming them to custom names. Never make changes to SAP specific code. We have done this on the logon page, the layout areas, UME. ETC.