Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHYS_MEMSIZE in Production Server

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

My production server consists on Application and Database servers.Both servers have 16 GB Ram.All users access PRD via Application server....may i put the different value of PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter in DB server and Application server or should me same on both servers...

if i put the different value of parameter like 14500 in DB server and 900 in Application server.. then which effects could i receive...

regards,

majamil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

One question, if I have only one server (Windows Server 2003 I64) where is the central Instance and the SQL Instance (SQL Server 2005 I64), the server has 12 GB of RAM, that should assign value to the parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE and how much memory you should allocate for SQL to get the best performance of the system following the recommendation of zero administration (Note 88416).

Thank you

Best regard

Christian.

Edited by: Christian Astete on Oct 3, 2008 4:09 PM

Edited by: Christian Astete on Oct 3, 2008 4:09 PM

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

problem approx. have solved but there is pending question.

regards,

majamil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if i put the different value of parameter like 14500 in DB server and 900 in Application server.. then which effects could i receive...

I would do vice-versa!

To improve speed it´s always good to assign the database as much memory as possible. If you assign 14500 MB on the database to the application, then the database will have a bit more than 1 GB (giving the fact, that the OS itself needs some memory too).

Why would you like to reduce the memory on the application servers to 900 MB?

Markus

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Markus ,

I am thankful to u for immediate reply.

Let me phrase the question again.Though the point u raised about OS memory is right and will act upon it.

Keeping in mind DB instance on one server and Dialog instance on Application server ,

I will have 2 instance profiles in RZ 10.

According to you first of all , this PHYS_MEMSIZe should be 12,000 approx, leaving 3 for OS to work.

Current Config on both servers

Application 2.5 GHz 16 GB RAM 12 dialog and 5 background

DB server 3.0 GHz and 16 GB 4 dialog , 3 background, 3 update, 1 update2, 1 enqueue

if u make *PHYS_MEMSIZE * = 12,000 for both ---any issues with this???????

Please confirm can if this config is fine..

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> if u make *PHYS_MEMSIZE * = 12,000 for both ---any issues with this???????

Probably - depending on how much memory you assigned to the database. Database memory + PHYS_MEMSIZE must not exceed the total memory in the box.

Markus

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Well i think i have been unable to convey properly.

Currently , the parameters in

Application Inatance Profile is Phys_Memsize 14,500 It has 16GB RAM in the Box

Database Instance Profile is Phys_Memsize 14,500 It has 16 GB RAM in the box as well

The main query here is , do we must have this parameter on both the instance profiles.?

and are there any parameters which must be maintained on both profiles.

Please confirm .

Thanks..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For the application server the 12 GB is ok.

For the database server you need to check how much memory you assigned to the database. The parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE is only for the SAP instance, your database has memory configurations as well which are not in the profile.

What I wanted to know is: How much memory did you assign to the database?

Markus

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I wanted to know is: How much memory did you assign to the database?

Well to be honest , I dont know where to assign any specific Memory to database..I have never done that for DEV , QAS and PRD ,the only difference is they have DB and SAP inatance on the same server.

please briefly explain how can we get it sorted out.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Well to be honest , I dont know where to assign any specific Memory to database..I have never done that for DEV , QAS and PRD ,the only difference is they have DB and SAP inatance on the same server.

If you would tell me, what database you use, I could certainly give an idea

Markus

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thanks for ur reply....

Oracle: 10.2.0.1.0

regards,

majamil

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oracle: 10.2.0.1.0

Oh...

Your database version is not supported. You need to install at least 10.2.0.2, better 10.2.0.4 plus the latest interim/merge patch; see

Note 871096 - Oracle Database 10g: Patch sets/patches for 10.2.0

Note 871735 - Current patch set for Oracle 10.2.0

If your system was installed using "-loadprocedure fast" (which is used since ERP 6.0 SR2), your database may already contain corrupt blocks that can´t be repaired.

I would really ASAP

- install 10.2.0.4

- install latest interim patch for 10.2.0.4 (see above notes)

- run a dbverify

The default parameters (also memory related) can be found in

Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g

To find out how much memory is configured for the database check transaction DBACOCKPIT --> Statistical Information --> SGA Monitor

I also HIGHLY suggest attending an Oracle class, it´s audacious to run production instances on a database without knowing anything about it (no offense)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I have read the post and I am really thankful to you to raise these points.

As you can see from the Information we provided that since the install of Oracle

we havent patched it.

What i need to ask you is , If we patch the system now on PRD,

do we have to do the same on all Servers DEV , QAS as well..

and will there be any consequences of patching the system at this stage when

client has already started working on the PRD system.

I would really appreciate if u could start teaching us Oracle as Distance Learning Programme.

lastly , i do agree there are lacking of Oracle knowledge, but with the help we can get on the ladder of progress.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What i need to ask you is , If we patch the system now on PRD,

> do we have to do the same on all Servers DEV , QAS as well..

yes - because you are running a software that is not supported and you may encounter other database related errors because of this.

> and will there be any consequences of patching the system at this stage when

> client has already started working on the PRD system.

No.

> I would really appreciate if u could start teaching us Oracle as Distance Learning Programme.

> lastly , i do agree there are lacking of Oracle knowledge, but with the help we can get on the ladder of progress.

Oracle is a complex beast. It takes some time to learn and understand what is happening. At least I would follow the installation guides and the given notes, who can educate pretty much. Oracle is not "setup.exe - continue - continue - finish". Just imagine you have a case where you really have a corrupt file or you need to restore something or find out what went wrong under presure because the production is down.

SAP has some very good classes on Oracle administration in a SAP system, I would book one (or more) and attend it/them to know at least where to look if something is going wrong.

Markus