cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report takes longer to print when suppressing rows

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a report with a parameter that allows the user to choose if they want a detail view or a summary view. The summary view suppresses the details section. If this option is chosen, the report takes much longer to run. (10 minutes vs 80 minutes). Why does this occur? What can be done about it?

I am running CR 11 on a SQL 2005 database. The report returns about 800,000 records. There are around 100 formuals, most of which use global variables, and 3 grouping levels.

The detail version of the report comes in at about 270 pages, the summary version is 12 pages.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Can you check what you have under performance information? Click Report (from the top menu) and select Performance information, select Performance Timing.

Do you have Page of N function in your report? If yes, can you try without it?

Can you test report with No Priner option?

I understand there are no crosstabs or subreports in your report, am I correct?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That helped tremendously. I removed the Page N of M from the report and checked the No Printer option. The report ran relatively quick finishing in about 5 minutes with only another 2 minutes to export to PDF. I decided to test with the "No Printer" option unchecked to see which solution had the impact in speed. The report ran just as fast with either the "No Printer" option checked or unchecked.

To follow up on your other points. There are no subreports or crosstabs in this report. Here is the performance information.

Before the changes.

Open: 0 ms

Run the Query: 95651 ms

Read the Records: 124221 ms

Format First Page: 325932 ms

Number of Pages Formated: 2

Avg. time to Format: 162966 ms

Number of Page Starts: 12

Average time to generate a page start: 245146

After the changes.

Open: 0 ms

Run the Query: 97690 ms