Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refreshing Workbooks in BW 3.5

former_member191571
Participant
0 Kudos

Guys,

I have a requirement - We have a workbook and this workbook contains 3queries. This workbook needs to be refreshed every month on 1st, 2nd and 3rd day.

I would like to make this an automatic process. We do not have WebTemplates for the queries. Is it possible only based on Workbooks?

I checked few threads on SDN but i'm not familier with VB coding. Is there any other way than using VB code? If yes, what is that? If no, can you please give me step by step VB code and where to write it.

Without VB knowlegde is there any way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks & Regards,

Edited by: Sarkar on Sep 3, 2008 11:02 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With workbooks the user can also choose whether to refresh the data automatically when the workbook next opens or to open the workbook with the old (frozen) data first, the user could then choose to manually refresh the data.

In Bex Analysis toolbox -> Refresh/Automatic Refresh

This above option is a toggle button, which will allow you to toggle between

Automatic and Manul refresh..

So, set your workbook to automatic refresh.

For more info on this, read ahead:

Refresh / Pause Automatic Refresh

The default action following any change to the navigation state of the result

set in a workbook is that an automatic refresh of the query is performed.

If a user wishes to enter a series of filters then it would be inefficient for the query

to automatically refresh each time a filter was entered, especially if the refresh

took a while to complete.

It is possible to halt the auto refresh from executing and instead switch to a manual refresh mode which means that the user can enter a series of filters and when they are ready they simply press the fresh button in the toolbox to trigger the refresh.

This means the OLAP processor can process all the filters in one step. The refresh icon appears slightly differently depending onwhether the workbook is in automatic refresh mode or manual refresh mode.

To switch between the automatic refresh and manual refresh modes simply press the

refresh button in the analysis toolbox.

When a workbook is saved the reporting data can also be saved with the workbook.

This means that when the workbook is reopened the user will immediately see the

old reporting data, they would have to press the refresh button in order to refresh

the data. _You have to consider whether this is the required behavior for the users,

they may prefer to have the workbook automatically refresh on opening._ If the

latter is the case then switch the default check box setting to Refresh workbook

on opening.

If data is huge, broadcasting on the desired days would ba good option.

Hope this is of help to you..

Cheers,

Habeeb

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member191571
Participant
0 Kudos

You can use Precalculated web template functionality instead of workbooks or you can set Bex Analysis toolbox -> Refresh/Automatic Refresh option to automatically refresh the workbook everytime it opens.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try broadcasting on the on the 1,2,3 days, if this is not possible

set it to refresh on open so that it refreshes sometime everyone opens it.