Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD configuration/move

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We plan to use single SLD installed on XI PRD Server

for entire XI landscape. Currently, only XI DEV Server is available and we have to start XI Developement by configuring SLD on XI DEV Server.

What are the optioins available to move SLD configuration from XI DEV to XI PROD?

How long it will take to move entire SLD configuration to XI PROD Server?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Chandu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor

Hi Chandu,

this document is a direct answer to your question

http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000315022005E.PDF

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks once again Michal.

Regards

Chandu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

Even i hae the same thing to do in my system,

We SLD in DEV XI server now we are planning to move to PRD XI server,i saw the document below,if you doucment the below required procedured for your system,can you help me in send that, else give me some steps so i can create SLD for PRD and transfer all datas from SLD DEV XI to SLD PRD XI.

NNAR70097@gmail.com is my mail id.

Thanks and regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

We have not moved SLD to PRD XI server. We are still in DEV environment and have not taken any decision whether to have one SLD or two SLD. So, I didn't look in the same yet.

The document mentioned in the post would help.

Regards

Chandu

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

It is unadvisable to have just a single SLD for the entire environment. You should have a minimum of two.

The main reason is that the Dev/Test environment should be kept separate fron the Prod environment.

Cheers

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

I fully agree that we should have a minimum of two SLDs for practical purposes. But, SAP recommenation is to have one SLD for all SAP systems.

Most of the companies have two SLDs.

Regards

Chandu

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

SAP used to recommend only one SLD. But that is changing. If you take a look at the latest SLD planning guides, and also the NW2004s Master Guide, they have described scenarios with multiple SLDs.

To quote from the NW2004s Master Guide:

<i>Reasons to Have Several System Landscape Directories

There may be several reasons to have more than one System Landscape Directory. For example, if you have

geographically distributed locations with local administration groups that want to see only their local systemsin the System Landscape Directory.

Furthermore, several System Landscape Directories may be required if you want to isolate your production

environment. By having a System Landscape Directory dedicated for your production systems, you make sure

that these systems are not visible from your development or test environment.</i>

Cheers

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

In section 3.5.1 of the 11/06 SLD Planning guide, SAP recommends just one SLD, but adds some caveats:

<i>If possible, we recommend that you use one system landscape directory server.

• If you do not run applications that critically rely on the availability of the system landscape directory

and that are critical for you, we recommend that you use one system landscape directory . You could

run this system landscape directory on the central administration and monitoring system (that is, the

SAP NetWeaver Administrator system), on an application system or standalone on a dedicated

system.

• If you use exactly one application that critically relies on the availability of the system landscape

directory and that is critical for you, we recommend that you run at least your production SLD on the

system together with this critical application.

&#1048713; If you use more than one application that critically relies on the availability of the system landscape

directory and that is critical for your business, we recommend that you have one dedicated master SLD

and additional System Landscape Directories running on these application systems.

To keep your system landscape directories synchronized, you may have to perform manual

exports/imports. This approach provides good availability while it may require considerable operation

effort. Therefore, it is only recommended if you have high requirements concerning availability or if you

only have a small amount of manual changes of your system landscape directory data that has to be

transported manually.</i>

Our prod environment does not have an application that is critically based upon an SLD being present. We might someday go with a solution that requires XI. In that case, we would need to build a seperate prod XI with HA.

But, as of now, our enviornment requires:

1.) NWDI

2.) NWA monitoring

I don't see a reason to build a 2nd SLD when the NWDI is contingent upon the DI instance(which also runs our SLD). And, NWA monitoring is tied to the central CCMS, which is also on a Dev server.

The only fall back to the above idea is that we do not have any HA for our Dev (SLD) system, so if it goes down, then we do not have an NWDI or NWA.