cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual maintenance/transportable objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We're looking at transport strategy. We will have the same concept of a parallel landscape on DEV and QUAL systems to avoid any freeze during upgrade, as described in thread 'dual maintenance'.

- does the dual maintenance means 100% of changes applied in DS1 has to be 'manually applied to DSA? If not which one can be transported from 46C to ERP Unicode and which one need to be applied manually?

- how did everyone convert and maintain their ABAP? Some 7.0 functions are not available in 46C and vice-versa. Was the Unicode-enabling code changes applied in DS1 then transported to DSA? Did anyone use utility upload/dowload and if so, which case?

- how about programs created in DS1 after the DSA creation/upgrade. At that stage they are still non-Unicode? Was it converted then transported to DSA?

Thanks and regards,

Terry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The times I have upgraded, we also had parallel landscapes. We always manually performed configuration changes in both landscapes, maining a Parallel Transport Control Log to ensure no config from the old landscape was forgotten in the new.

Former Member
0 Kudos

While there may be some transports that could technically be exported from DS1 then re-imported into DSA, you have to consider the risk. There are undoubtedly some configuration items that SAP changed after 4.6. SD texts for example. You might not gain that much by trying to use transports across different versions to save a few minutes of re-work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try to minimize configuration as much as possible during the upgrade project, so the amount of dual-config shouldn't be that great. Unicode-enabling syntax changes, in your case, will have to be made in the DSA system since you are on 4.6 and I don't think UCCHECK is available in 4.6. Unless you want to scan your own programs for the common syntax problems. We actually used UCCHECK and corrected some programs in our legacy DEV system before doing the system copy/upgrade so that we did not have to do the re-work, but this was possible because we are on 4.7.

I would recommend creating any new programs manually in DSA, and in DSA turn on the unicode checks active flag. Try to freeze new development as much as possible during the upgrade to avoid this double-work, and to focus your resources on the critical upgrade project.

(Sorry for the multiple posts, something in the language was blocking the complete post)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for that very informative reply. I would like to extend this scenario.

In addition to the DS1/DSA system, we will have a production-copy sandbox. I am aware that there are codes that are available in 46C and not in ERP, and vice-versa.

I'm sure others also had this production-copy sandbox, so how/where did they 'convert' programs?

Thanks,

Terry