cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killing a PRIV work process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've got several work process which is in PRIV mode for quite sometime. The extended memory is ok (at 73%)

Need to ask if it will be ok to kill a WP which has been in PRIV mode for a long time? It is not showing and program running on sm50. So, can I just kill them?

BR,

Eida

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If there are more wp in priv mode then it lower the performance because no other user can use that process.

u can restrict the no of WP going into Priv mode rdisp/wppriv_max_no

u can also set rdisp/max_priv_time to restrict time a particular WP to stay in PRIV mode

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Do you get any errors in the work process trace file when wp goes into

PRIV mode or dumps in ST22?

regards,

John Feely

marcin_cholewczuk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check it in ST02 -> Detail analysis menu -> SAP memory -> Mode list

When in column Heap you have something other than 0 (for dialog proces) means that procesis in private mode. If in third colmun there is no X, it means that report is not executed (waiting for input or something else). You can check here which user was for responsible for this PRIV mode.

In general you should set in RZ10/RZ11 how long user can work in this process. In one of systems I've seen that it was set to 5 minutes. Generaly if this is not a very specific report that process realy a lot of data (which should be executed in background), then this is programming error.

@Nico

If WP is in PRIV mode then yes, it means that this process uses a lot of memory (it has used all it's roll out memory in WP area and all of it's extended memory area, so WP heap is the only pleace left).

Best Regards

Marcin Cholewczuk

EDIT: Ok, now I see date of last response 😕

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check which user in PRIV mode in SM04 ,sort based on high memory ususage.

goto user sessions and find out which internal session in PRIV mode . If SAP is very slow because of the high usuage of memory by single session.Try teminate that internal session for that user.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Shyam Dontamsetty

former_member66264
Contributor
0 Kudos

mhmm.. not convinced

It does not mean that a user with a session in PRIV is using the most memory.

you better check first for users with high memory usage via SM04 -> goto memory

Check those users, only when memory is freedup i would kill the user with heap.

former_member220077
Participant
0 Kudos

unless it hurting performance on the system you can just let it run, but if you want to kill it, it won't hurt anything except that job. You can kill the process from the command line, in UNIX, you can do a kill -9 against the pid in SAP, and windows, you can get it through the task manager or you can just do the cancel without core from SM50--> Process --> Cancel without Core

Private memory usually means it spilled to disk and exhausted EM for that process. If you get allot of them, you might need to raise your heap and EM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If no program is running on this PRIV process, why do you want to kill it ?

It's possible to kill it but why ?

Are you so short of memory ?

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

why do you want to kill it ?

- to free up memory (as discussed)

But there is another very important reason:

- to un-block the workprocess

Cheers Michael