cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP: how to avoid Purchase orders/ Production orders generation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know how can I avoid the generation of purchase orders / production orders for MRP execution. I am interested in knowing which are going to be my future needs for a material running the MRP, but I am not interested in generating any new Purchase order / Production order.

I've been changing some parameters in the MRP 2 tab: procurement type, but I think that it is also related with MRP type or MRP group or both. With the procurement type I've only been able to change the purchase requisitions to planned orders and viceversa.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pankaj_singh9
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you don't want MRP to be run for the materials then maintain MRP Type as ND in MRP 1 view of material master. And then check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to run MRP, but I do not want that the MRP creates automatically any Purchase requisition nor planned order. I only want that the result of the MRP shows me how many stock I will need.

I've created the new "Material status" (06) assigning B (error message) to the next fields:

Purchasing message, PRT message, POrder header msg and PO/network item msg.

In my Material master the relevant fields status are:

Basic 1. X-plant mat. status = 06

MRP 1. Plan. Sp mat. status = 06

MRP group = empty

MRP type = PD

MRP 2 Procurement = empty (I've done it attacking directly to the

table, it means no procurement)

Special procurement = empty

I've also changed the material types, changing internatl/external purchase orders value to "not allowed"

I've runned MRP and the result is the list of scheduled lines (dependent requirements) as well as some Planned orders lines. Those last are the one that I do not want to be generated by the MRP. It should be empty, only with the Dependent requirements.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then Pankaj's solution with MRP type ND should work without bothering about procurement type or material status.

Former Member
0 Kudos

After changing the value from PD to ND, the result is the same. Now with the material status I cannot work with the planned orders but they still appear in my list, and it shouldn't.

Does anybody work with that method in MRP? Informing about future consumptions but without creating PO or Planned orders

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ND means no planning, material having ND as MRP type will not be considered when running MRP.

Instead of running MRP, you should execute MD06.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And my question is: is it not possible to run MRP get the calculation of how many items do you need but without creating any purchase order/planned order?

To explain my scenario: I have a material X which is composed by material Y and packaging material Z. Material Y is a raw material and if I am running out of stock, the MRP should create automatically the Purchases orders (in this case because the procurement is external). Then material Z is a package, with external procurement (conceptually). If we run out of stock we will ring directly to our supplier to get more stock, but no purchase order will be needed to be created. The MRP will inform us about until when we will have enough stock.

It's a crazy problem because changing the procurement type, it should not create any purchase order, but neither any planned order. I've been able to cancel all purchase orders but now it appears the planned order.

Thank you

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. MRP won't generate PrdOrds / POs, MRP generally generates proposals like PldOrd, PurReq.

2. MRP is executed in order to get those planning proposals. This is the very purpose of MRP...

I only want that the result of the MRP shows me how many stock I will need.

What do you want exactly? Which MRP element shows you how many stock you need and this MRP element is not a proposal at the same time?

What is your business process?

If you want to see only the stock and the requirements, no MRP run is needed. Just refresh the MD04 list.

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Sep 2, 2008 1:17 PM

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The main purpose of MRP is to CREATE requirements that can be procured externally or internally.

In your newest example both your raw material and your packaging material are external procured, one shall be ordered with PO while for the other you just call your supplier. Where exactly is the difference? Isn't this call not just another way of transmitting an order? S

o why do you need to call, setup the system that it creates automatically a purchase order without any interaction of a user.

As I already told you, if you dont want MRP to do what it is supposed to do, then run MD06 and do not run MRP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The MRP element is "Dependent requirement" (DepReq). This is the only that I want to be shown when I check the MD07/MD06/MD04. I do not want that the MRP show me any proposal (sorry if in any message instead of saying Purchase Requisition I've said Purchase Order), neither a Purchase Requisition (PurRqs), neither a Planned Order (PlnOrd).

Step by Step:

1. Create customer requirements (MD61)

2. I've gone to the MD04 and I've refreshed, but not changes have been shown

3. After run the MD01 (NEUPL, 1,3,1,3) I've gone again to the MD04 and the list has changed showing some DepReq as well as some PurRqs.

Those PurRqs are the ones that I do not want to display. Only the Dependent requirements.

The material master is setup to MRP type ND, with material status 06 (error messages for PO, Production orders, Planned orders, ...) and the Procurement type is blank, so no procurement is setup.

No problem if I have to go deeper on this issue. Thank you

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian,

W/o MRP run you cannot get the requirements at lower level.

Please understand:

FG - Stock 10, IndReq 20; Halb - Stock 5; RM - Stock 2

> MRP run >

FG - Stock 10, IndReq 20, PldOrd 10

Halb - Stock 5, DepReq 5, PldOrd 5

RM - Stock 2, DepReq 3, PurReq 3

So, via MRP run the requirements are calculated with planning proposals together. As I told you this is material requirement planning, this is the very purpose of MRP.

If you only want to display the stocks and requirements, create a query / riport for this purpose and use the appropriate filter.

Csaba

(sorry, refresh button helps only if you change the PO, PrdOrd, etc > one level under the material you can see the effect)

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Sep 2, 2008 1:42 PM

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Sep 2, 2008 1:43 PM

PLEASE NOTICE THAT W/O MRP-generated-PldOrd YOU WON'T GET THE DepReq.

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Sep 2, 2008 1:50 PM

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Sep 2, 2008 1:51 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then is it not possible to avoid the creation of those purchase requisitions? there is no way?

We got an error in the production system yesterday in which the MRP was not creating any planned order neither purchase requisition for one material. So it's ironical that we got it where we don't want and we cannot reproduce it where we need

Changing the procurement type from F (external) to E(internal) it changes the display from the MD07/6/4 and changes the Purchase requisitions to purchase orders. Then why when I select "blank" (no procurement), it still creates those purchase requisitions? It is not only a matter of display. It is really an issue to avoid that users aproves and creates purchase orders that we really don't need.

The reason why we do not want to use those purchase orders is because the process will be more complex and considering that the supplier, in this case also our customer, do not want any purchase order, only phone calls, then it has no sense to create them.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian,

with MRP type ND the system will not plan the material and will not create neither planned orders nor purchase requisitions. However, if you created these before, when the material still had MRP type PD, then MRP will certainly also not delete these, because with ND it does not plan the material anymore. Thus you need to delete these manually. No new ones should show up afterwards with ND.

Regards,

Kay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally, this is the solution. I've been working with an existing material which had some Purchase requisitions. After deleting them and use the MRP type ND, everything works perfectly.

No procurement type, no material status, no changes are needed. The error was to use that old material with those old requisitions.

Thank you old for your answer. I wil give you points now.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you set the goods as not planned you won't get the DepReqs at lower levels (your original requirement was that). In this case the only information you will get at lower levels are stock levels, transactional data (PO, PrdOrd), requirements coming from transactional data directly from *one6 level higher.

If you are using multi level BOMs, SAP won't support your procurement...

'ND' was already suggested in the third message of this thread by Pankaj Singh...

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this case we do not use Multilevel BOM.

Thank you for all your help

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helo Cristian,

you can customize a material status (OMS4) with error messages for purchasing and production and maintain this in the material master.

Regards,

Kay