Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI client in Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP requests to activate BI for some addtional functionality in the

Solution Manager.

Is there any impact of using BI in the productive SolMan client or in a separate client?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know there is no difference.

Over here we use BI in the productive client for SMD without an issue.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I always wondered why they recommend using the BI functionality in the same system because the database parameters differ between an OLTP system (SolMan) and the BI part...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using Business Blueprint, Configuration, Change Request Management, ECATT, and some monitoring functionality in a Solution Manager client. Now we would like to add BI functionality to be prepared for SMD and also to use it for some reporting.

There are several forums regarding this topic, SAP replied in [/thread/217027 [original link is broken];:

"In general, we recommend to keep the SAP BI system on a separate box, due resource consumption, etc.

There is technically no restriction to run the SAP BI system also on the same box, yet it has to be in a dedicated (separated) client. This is necessary for the loading mechanisms (logical system) and for some client-dependant tables used by the SAP BI system."

But I cannot find any statement in SDN, any installation guide, SAP note, or master guide why we should do this. What is the impact on using a separate client? If we use all SolMan applications in only one client: Does it interfere with some particular functionality and which applications cannot be run together in a Solution Manager client?

Maybe somebody can answer it. Would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Holger Slomka

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But I cannot find any statement in SDN, any installation guide, SAP note, or master guide why we should do this.

I gave the answer already - a database for a BI system must be configured differently than for an OLTP system. So you may either slow down your Solman or slow down your BI depending on which parameter you choose.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

This would mean to use BI in a separate system in order to set the db and system parameters for OLAP or OLTP, not only a separate client in the same system. In IMG it is stated to setup a separate client or to use the same productive client. What are the disadvantages when we use BI in the same client?

Could this cause serious problems (whith CHaRM, CTS+, SLD, SMI projects, or other SolMan functions)?

Holger

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - you can do that - and for many installations this may be ok to use just a different client. However, depending on how many systems you connect, the load on the BI can be pretty high and thus slowing down all other things. If you have only some instances (where "some" is a relative number) it may be ok. If you want to connect MANY systems, I would consider a separate BI system.

On top you may run into dependency hell if you use the BI on the same system. A SAP_BW patch may imply the installation of SAP_BASIS which may imply the installation of an CRT for ST_400 which is not available...

Markus