Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Hostname under Windows Server?!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

i have to install a ACC Testscenario...

For this i read the installationguide..

But there is a point i can not handle...

because i dont know it...

It says that i have to install the SAP on a Virtual Hostname...

But i really dont know what they mean?!

I dont heard about it that you can create virtual hostnames under Windows.. only with VM Ware...

Is anybody here that can explain what they espaccialy mean?

I want to install the SAP System (SAP and Database Software) on one host on one Harddisk (HP SAN)

Here is the text i mean:

4.2.2 Installation with SAPINST on Virtual Hostnames

The current SAPINST implementations are now able to install directly on the virtual hostname (for

more detailed information refer to the installation guide of the installed application). No preparation

and subsequent work regarding the hostnames has to be done. To be able to install the Central

Instance on a different hostname as the database it is important to use the Distributed Installation.

Donu2019t forget to cleanup the temporary directory used during the installation after each

single installation step.

1. Central Instance Host Preparation

The first installation step is the Central Instance Host Preparation. This needs to be done with the

virtual hostname of the Central Instance.

sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=ci<SID>

During the installation routine the Database Host will be asked. Enter here the virtual hostname of

the database.

The installation routine also requires the path to the JRE or JDK implementation on the local host.

This depends on the local implementation. It is recommended to put the used Java package

together with all the other SAP application service components on the storage system and mount it

to the directory which is created especially for this SID. The implementation could

Thanks Bjoern

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Björn,

pls check in the installation guide used, if it says before "sections for

high availability HA Microsoft cluster".

The term virtual hostname is usually used in a microsoft cluster

installation (there are 2 physical hostnames for each cluster server

and 1 virtual hostname).

I guess you are reading the section for high availability, but dont want

to install the sap instance on high availability HA on microsoft cluster.

hope this helps.

kind regards,

andreas

marcelo_sehnem
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

On windows it is the same as on Linux. You have to define your virtual hostnames either in dns or in the

hosts file. Prior to use sapinst with the parameter SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<virtual hostname> you have to activate of course

the virtual IP address on the system.

Regards,

Marcelo