cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS Performance Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to enhance an existing webdynpro applications by adding new fields on a view but noticed the developer studio will slow down to a crawl and sometimes my system will hang.

My machine is a Intel Pentium Centrino with the following specs:

CPU - 1.5GHz

Memory - 1.5GB

NWDS - Ver: 7.0.09

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Stan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

If you right click on your shortcut bar and choose Task Manager, then go to the Performaqnce tab and look up PF usage, does this show over 1.5GB. I suspect it is, JVM's do not like paging and 1.5GB of RAM and a 1.5Ghz Processor was too slow for the development team I was supporting 4 years ago so I imagine things are not a lot better now.

If you have a local J2EE of any type this will be the main cause so shut that down unless testing and everything will go a lot faster. Also such a beastie will seriously slow your PC when starting it.

Shutting down anything else on there that may be memory intensive will also help like Microsoft Word or similar.

The other things that can be at fault are

1. disk (if your PC is a few years old and has not been rebuilt then it will be slower, you can normally tell this by a slow reboot.

2. Virus checker, especially when a J2EE is up and running but also NWDS can be clobbered a bit. Check teh process tab of task manager for high CPOU for your anti virus product.

3. Hardware issues, harder to spot but a good sigh will be in perfmon, if you chech the interrupts per second these should not be over about 10000 on your little PC/laptop I imagine unless there is a hardware fault being registered.

good luck!

G

torsten_blank2
Participant
0 Kudos

We had also problems with speed of nwds, so we tested some thing that made development better.

- VM.Parameters can be changed, we use 896mb (XMX/S) and 265MB(PERMSIZE) because that is the max to use nwds with remote desktop we now

- virus scan is chanceled with all files that are user normaly in nwds

- some other plays with settings

This things speed up development, but nit that what we want. so we would change hardware. our system was 1,8GHz amd with 2GB RAM and one hd (5400upm).

our new system will be an intel dualcore with 3,0GHz, 4GB RAM and first hd for system and second for development (7200upm). so we hope that will be speed up nwds for a long time because it is not that easy to get new hardware in our company.