cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Security during installation

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Please let me know how to achieve "Setting up security for service-level accounts (page 12 in SAP BPC 5.1 Master Install Guide)"... I have created 3 users in my windows server 2003:

1.Administrator (member of Administrators group in server 2003)

2.SysAdmin (member of Administrators group in server 2003)

3.student (member of Users group in server 2003)

Please let me know whether\how the System Admin ID matches with the SystemAdmin role in the BPC 5.1 and how the Admin ID matches with the PrimaryAdmin role in the BPC 5.1.

I am installing using SysAdmin ID which is a member of Administrators group on my machine.

I have also got License file from Service Market Place for SAP BPC 5.1 where and how should I use this file ??

Thank You,

Sudhakar Kuricheti

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have installed BPc on the server you first need to logon from a client machine to http://servername/osoft and install the administration client.

Log on to the admin client with the install user and in there you can add the other two users (Although most of the time we use just one single user in all the 3 userboxes during installation). You can also create task and access profiles that you can link to these users.

The license file should be placed somewhere on the server (where is doesn't get deleted or moved) and you should point to this file during the installation.

-Joost

0 Kudos

ThankYou very much Joost,

I have started installation this is the third time and during the setup time in the "setting up system configuration for installation" step it gives me an error "Microsoft Services (Database, Analysis and Reporting) are not installed or not available on the system. There it stops me from installing...

And its not asking me anywhere during installation (during my first try) where to point out the license file. Where should I keep this ?

I even have restarted the services (and the system as well) and checked all the ports (1433 and 2383) are open, they are working well and I have even checked whether I have installed the service pack 2 for SQL Server 2005 (and I did install it), included the ports and programs in the windows firewall (Exception List). Do I need to do any other configuration as well ? If yes, please guide me through it !!

Edited by: sudhakar kuricheti on Sep 1, 2008 11:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I normally do during an installation, is to create one user whith which I do the complete installation.This user should pass the following requirements:

u2022 The user must preferably be a domain user. It can be a local user on the server, but not in a production environment.

u2022 The user must be a local administrator on the SAP BPC server and in the case of a multi-server installation on all the servers in the environment.

u2022 This user will have to be part of the Remote Desktop users group as well because it is the only user that will be able to perform certain actions on the SAP BPC server through the SAP BPC Server Manager for example backups and restores of application sets.

u2022 Please note, this user can be reset through the server manager but because it is normally also used to start the SAP BPC COM+ components, certain services and many tasks within the application, it is of utmost importance that this user must be configured carefully before the start of the installation.

Then I instal SQL 2005 in mixed mode (so with a SA account). When finished installing SQL 2005 I run the SAP BPC setup, where I specify the same user as I used for the SQL 2005 installation for all 3 fields where usernames can be filled in.

Regarding the license file, this can be located anywhere on your server where it does not get deleted. Mostly during my installations I make a folder on the C drive called something like C:/BPC License File and put it there. The license file should be specified in the third step (first select install BPC on SQL2005, then next on the first screen containing some warnings about closing all other windows applications).

Edited by: Tim Vierhout on Sep 2, 2008 8:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you run a diagnostic before you installed? Did this indicate that the SQL server is installed and running? Make sure you reboot the server after installing of SQL server before you start installing BPC and check if all services are really running and try to logon to SQL server management studio. If this all works, it should not give problems.

-Joost

0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

I have done everything you have mentioned..Installation gives me this error:

"Cannot Connect to the sql server

please check sql server connection or check the System Admin ID to access the SQL Server."

How can I fix this ??

Thank You..

Former Member
0 Kudos

At what point during installation does the system come with this prompt?

Has the server check already occured and whas it passed without error? It sounds like there is something wrong with the user you specified for system admin ID, Admin ID and User ID. If it is a domain user, did you ad the domain?

0 Kudos

Tim,

I am not having any domain setup..I am installing it on a single server. Do i need to setup any ports or configure any ini files on my system for sql server. Server check has not come yet.

This prompt has come when we "give the three user ids -> click next -> give the path for BPC data like C:\BPC\DATA, set the standard and advanced setting" -> click next THIS IS WHERE THE PROMPT POPPED UP

ThankYou..