cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR 2008+VS 2008+Vista 64 = bug!?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

i has downloaded the demo of CR 2008 to test it. Actually i use CR XI and would take a look on CR 2008.

As i installed CR 2008 on my Vista 64 machine, i start a new VS 2008 Project and add a new Report. But the designer window is blank. However VS 2008 UI is responding, but no actions will be performed until i close the report document (i.e. if i want add a new file, i can click on it, but nothing happens).

I searched informations about such a problem on the internet, but i found nothing. So i'm thinking about it a while and remember that i has similar problem with another application long time ago. It seems that the NX Flag of modern CPUs on Vista 64 bit prevent to running CR 2008 in VS 2008 correctly. So i disable the NX Flag in my bios and look CR 2008 + VS 2008 works fine.

What's the solution? Disabling NX in the bios is a temporarily workaround, but not the final solution. It's looks like a bug in CR 2008 (or VS 2008?!). Has anyone a solution or a fix will be released soon?

regards

Kai Korla

Edited by: Kai Korla on Aug 30, 2008 2:51 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

Just want to know if you have installed CR2008 with SP0 in your machine or not as sp0 makes CR2008 compatible with VS2008.

Thanks.

AG.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes i have. Also added Fixpack 1 and Fixpack 2. CR 2008 is compatible with VS 2008, but only if i disable the NX flag so that Hardware DEP (Data Execution Prevention) not works.

regards

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Huhm,

no reply from CR 2008 developers? Anyone else has the same problem? I have tested it on a another computer with the same result.

regards

Kai Korla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I am getting the same problem with my Vista 64 setup. Sad for me to say I'm relieved that I am not the only one with the problem. I would appreciate if Business Object can come up with a fix for it.

0 Kudos

This is not a CR issue, DEP is blocking the Your application from using the activeX controls or running. Add your executable to the list of trusted applications and it should all work fine.

Also, run .NET as administrator so it has full permissions.

All versions other than the Basic versions included with Visual Studio .NET are not currently support running in 64bit mode, you must compile it in 32 bit only. Product is working on a 64 bit version but no word on when or what version it will be released.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I should have given more details. The issue is not with the application I'm developing. Its building reports using Crystal 2008 sp0 with Visual Studio 2008 on a Vista 64 setup.

The problem is when I add a report to my application I get no report wizard and a blank crystal report object. If I have focus on any crystal report object the VS IDE will lock up. The only way to fix the lock up is to change focus from the crystal report object to something else in my project.

I do have Visual Studio 2008 running as administrator. I even tried to add Crystal Reports to the DEP list. No luck.

According to the offical plateform specification document for Crystal 2008 sp 0 it does support Vista 64.

[Crystal 2008 with SP0|http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/communitycs/TechnicalPapers/cr_2008_supported_platforms_windows_sp0.pdf?recDnlReq=Record&dnlPath=cr_2008_supported_platforms_windows_sp0.pdf].

Edited by: Tom Walker on Sep 3, 2008 8:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thats the point. Developing on Vista 64 with DEP and VS 2008+CR 2008 is imposibble 'cause the integrated CR Editor not loading correctly in Vista 64, even if u start VS 2008 as administrator. Please fix this.

regards

Kai Korla

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

The solution to this is to turn off DEP completely, I do not have the VISTA command line for it right now, I will get it to you later, but at this point this is the only solution.

This behaviour is being looked at for future updates, however at this point I am unsure of when.

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

To turn off DEP:

Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following: bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOn

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

disabling NX is not a solution...it's a temporarily workaround. Disabling NX is a security risk!

Is the bug fixed now or i have to wait longer?

regards

Kai Korla

0 Kudos

For now your only option as what has been noted. As Trevor indicated, it should be resolved in some future patch, we don't know exactly when at this time. Watch and read the patch readme files.

former_member184469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue is solved on the CR 2008 v1.

/people/blair.wheadon/blog/2009/01/08/whats-new-in-crystal-reports-2008-v1

No need to turn off DEP when working with Visual Studio on Windows Vista

In Crystal Reports 2008 and Crystal Reports 2008 V0, a developer wanting to work with Microsoft Visual Studio on Windows Vista first had to turn off the OS feature called DEP. Now with V1, we support running the embedded Visual Studio designer on Windows Vista with DEP on.

Answers (0)