cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time example of using the ALERT in XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not much aware of the real time use of this alert in sap xi.

Can any body tell explain me with one example..

1.A small example where we can use ALERTS.

2. How do we achieve that requirement in SAP XI.I know that we need to create alert category and those stuf...

3.If i get an error in mapping..in these cases how alerts will be used.?

I would appreciate the self expalnation rather than giving blogs ..

i have read few blogs...

Regards,

Chandu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We can do the alert mechanism in integration process(BPM).And we have standrad pattern for this in the Integration Repository-SAP BASIS.

Pattern Name: BpmPatternReqRespAlert

This pattern is to send a request message from the source system and wait for the response from the target system. For example we can consider a Purchase Order and Purchase order response. To monitor whether a particular response message is received by a predefined deadline, hence forth we define an integration process for message exchange. In this process we define a deadline branch to monitor the deadline. If the deadline is missed, an alert is triggered and the process continues to wait for the response message to be received.

And a deadline branch is used to trigger if there is any error.

Please let me know if you require this Integration process step by step.

Regards,

Sharath

Edited by: sharath Girmaji on Aug 28, 2008 6:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

well Sharath thank for the response.

As you said we use BPM and will achieve the alerts.

So any problem arises in dealine branch an alert would be raised and you can see in the alert inbox in the runtime work bench...as per my understanding..

i still want to know that...in real time how much this alerts will be helpfull...he end user will not go and see alert inbox in rutnime work bench right.....as we can send alerts in fax or email or pagers...if yes how do we achieve..do we need to create receiver communication channel...

Let us give end to end picture..it could be best practice to understand.

Hope i am clear.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First start by creating the alerts with this BLOG

Have a look at this SAP help file while creating the Container variables in the above Blog

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/80/942f3ffed33d67e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

To send email to mail box automatically when alert occurs in XI

Can you check whether the below authorization is given to that user.

For the sending of alerts via external communication methods (e-mail, sms, fax) and for inbound processing, an RFC user has to be created on the central alert server with the role SAP_BC_ALM_ALERT_USER. The authorization objects contained in this role are S_OC_SEND and S_RFC.

refer the help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b2/de0741375cf16fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

also

check in ALRTCATDEF transaction what is the user maintained under the fixed receipent tab for that user check the email address in SU01 transaction.

Please check in transaction SCOT (you can give address of your SMTP server in order to send mails),

If it is configured then probably you need to personalized alert delivery. In alert inbox you can select personalized alert delivery and check for "Mail" option.

In SCOT you can see how many mails have beed sent via your XI system.

most of the time email problem is solved by correcting configuration in SCOT. For testing mail system click on System->short message and then send one message to yourself

Regards

Seshagiri

hemant_chahal
Contributor
0 Kudos

A live example would be :

A running XI server where say end user dont know much about XI and they ask you for raising alerts if any thing fails in XI.

like payment fails or say data has some missing values and xi gives mapping errors. each time you wont go and check monitoring.

Alerts can automatically inform you.

So you have to create alerts for sending to them over mail or SMS.

alerts can be for application errors and system errors,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Chandu,

yes exactly the user cannot go to RWB and check.We can maintain the recipients in the transaction ALRTCATDEF.And the mail configurations can be done in SCOT tcode.

Regards,

Sharath

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member192295
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Alert configuration most of the time using for business users, why because they don't no about XI, they don't have technical knowledge for how to monitor errors. They why through alert we will throw errors to their mail box, so that they can understand easily and take action.

1.A small example where we can use ALERTS.

Most of the time it is for B2B scenarios and some time A2A also. Alert configuration can throw Application & system related errors

2. How do we achieve that requirement in SAP XI.I know that we need to create alert category and those stuf...

Alter Config

alter Category

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d0/d4b54020c6792ae10000000a155106/content.htm

alter notification

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/49/cbfb40f17af66fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

3.If i get an error in mapping..in these cases how alerts will be used.?

It is mapping category error, it will throw automatically

I hope now clear little bit

former_member182455
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi chandu,

Alert : An alert is a notification informing its recipients that a critical or very important situation has arisen. The situation is as severe that an action must be taken immediately in order to solve the

situation.

XI definition on Alert :

Alert are used to monitor the abap and java components (Including the Business Process Engine) of Exchange Infrastructure centrally, and to identify different categories of system errors and

application errors in the various interfaces and interface namespaces of the components involved.

what is use of alerts : Alert Management (ALM) is an ideal solution if you can identify specific business or technical situations that are critical and could escalate efficient operation, and you want specific parties to be informed if these situations arise. The basic functionality of Alert Management is to provide framework for informing administrators and/or users about business-critical problems.

Alerts within XI give us a simple way to monitor only those errors that we want and send alert

messages to different people depending on the alert category. You can send alert to alert inbox,

mail or even on SMS if cell phone operator gives us the possibility of sending SMS through a web

service.

how do you use it in real time : Alert Management helps to prevent delays in the processing of critical situations, because the time between discovering and responding to such situations is reduced considerably.

For Eg:In the database table if one source entry is referred by multiple target entries then it

becomes ambiguous state in fetching the relevant value. Immediately this problem can be intimated

to the Operations Support team through XI(from XI prospective).

Where we use the Alerts : In the mapping and BPM scenario, when the customer wants some message when any exception occur then we use alerts.

Follow this links

Alert configuration

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/80/942f3ffed33d67e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Email Alerts

Alert Delivery

Transport the alerts

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/a6/5a94413aaad960e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Trouble shoot alert config

regards

srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This Blog will Explains clearly

REgards

Seshagiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

alerts are mainly used with BPM as u said if any error with in the mappping

tehn alert should be triggred for that u need to create alert category for that u have an idea as u mentioned

Now comming do define in BPM we use loop wait conditions to trigger an alert we clearly define the condition depending on the condition

Regards

Sampath