cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to manage users updating to Firefox 3 after Firefox 2 asked them to

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear NetWeaver Community,

at my company, we have a rather big and heterogeneous client landscape with a mix of windows, linux and OS X workstations (all potential NW users). As per default, all windows Clients have IE 6 and Firefox 2, all Linux clients Firefox 2 pre-installed. (not shure about the OSX rollouts)

In recent days many Firefox 2 users got Messages asking them to update to new Version 3 of Firefox.(http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/08/25/firefox-2-about-to-get-a-major-update/)

Of course, I know that according to the PAM, this browser is not yet supported by the NetWeaver 7.0 Platform and should not be installed.

But many of our business users do not. They simply press the default and highlighted button and update to the unsupported Firefox 3 which has some major rendering problems with NW 7.0 Pages.

This post is to ask if some of you have similar problems and if so, how you are managing those.

many thanks, andreas.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas. Strange situation .... Are you use in your interprise Proxy server? Or how you control your users time and internet work? We have some like ACL list to control what user has access to what site, and from here we can disable downloading updates, also in the FIREFOX you can change the default settings in --> (i'm have on Russian language it translate )

tools --> properties(options) --> advanced --> updatings -->

unselect all, after this FIRE FOX not ask anything any more.

Regards.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. I am new to using MAC and have been asked by my organization to try to determine when SAP will begin to support the user of Firefox 3.0. Does anyone have the answer to this question. Thanks in advance for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>when SAP will begin to support the user of Firefox 3.0. Does anyone have the answer to >this> question.

Ask this question to SAP : they are the only people able to answer it !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, they finally did. The current PAM stated that it is planed to be available with SP19. (3th week of april 2009 i guess)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers. We are a IT Company, so we don't have the option or the intend to lock-up our Clients.

But its Interesting to see how its done in (i suppose) other Industries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, now you need to find where firefox consists this setting (in windows i'm think it some reester key in windows registry, try to find and change.) On other OS, ask to on FIRE FOX forum or support. Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my company all users Windows workstations are completely locked : users have absolutely NO rights to install any software.

All official software is remotely installed by the IT team during the night.

There is so only one release of web browser aon all workstations (IE 6).

Regards,

Olivier