cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch strategy for ECC6 in SAP NW2004s environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Our SAPNW04s landscape consists of ECC6, BI 7.0, EP7.0 , SRM, XI, Solution Manager systems. We are drafting patch upgrade strategy for the ECC6 system & have 2 options:

Option 1: Apply patches only in ECC6 & not in other components.

Option 2: Patch ECC6 together with other components like SRM, BI, EP etc.

Option 2 will make things complicated but for Option 1 below are the 2 concerns/questions raised:

1. Option 1 will lead to doing UAT twice for Business Processes which have a tight integration with ECC6, for ex. UAT for data extraction needs to be done after applying patches both in the ECC6 & the BI systems. This will lead to arrange for more user resources.

2. Due to the tight integration between ECC6 & other components applying patches alone in the ECC6 might lead to other systems like BI, EP,SRM, XI etc at a lower level & they might not be able to connect to ECC6 or work properly with ECC6.

Can somebody share how they are managing the ECC6 patches upgrade in a big NW2004s environment with other components present, are the ECC6 patches done standalone & other systems like EP, BI follow their own different time schedules for patching or ECC6, BI, EP are recommended to be done together.

Are there any best practices recommendations from SAP on the same?. Can somebody share the blueprint or any strategy document they are using.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

For the reasons you outline in 2, it is recommended to patch entire business scenarios (i.e. business processess that are coupled integrated across systems) together. Rather than go into a full discussin here, I recommend you see my paper [How To Design a SAP NetWeaver - Based System Landscape |https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a9952d-15cc-2a10-84a9-fd9184f35366].

Best Regards,

Matt