cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advantages and disadvantages of SOAP adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Currently we need to provide a solution connecting to the .NET environment from SAP system, one of the option is proxy <-> PI <-> soap (web service), can anybody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of web service communication via PI? Because we may also be able to connect directly via the .NET connector.

It will be very appreciated if you could provide some proposals, thanks.

Bean

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi bean qian ,

These are the advantages of SOAP:

SOAP(Web Services) IS A Technical Adapter.

Openness and Interoperability are features of SAP XI.

1)Openness

Use open, XML-based standards

Leverage Industry Standards in B2B scenarios

2)Interoperability

Connect to applications using specialized adapters

Connect to existing integration solutions using JMS (e.g. MQSeries) or SOAP

Web Service: SOAP on the Ropes

u2022 The Good

u2022 By default the SAP builds the XML per the selected protocol

u2022 All container elements with values are added to XML document

u2022 SOAP protocol is a synchronous process, therefore SAP waits on a

response

u2022 SAP automatically matches data elements in the returned XML document to

container elements and transfers the data (in theory)

u2022 The Bad

u2022 Current problems with return binding for SOAP processes require special

handling

u2022 The Web step allows manipulation of the outgoing and incoming XML

document via rules

u2022 the following may ease some learning pains

These r disadvantages of SOAP :

The SAP XI SOAP Adapter supports Exactly-Once end-to-end processing using unique message IDs.

This is an excellent blog which neatly explains u in detail of SOAP with WEB:

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

HTTP and SOAP both supports SSL

In case of soap, only msg can b sent..in case of http, some authentication (communication channel-> prolog n epilog)can b sent along with the msg.

I would suggest to go with HTTP adapter when compared with SOAP adapter because HTTP adapter directly runs on Integration Engine. Whereas the SOAP adapter runs on the Adapter Engine. So it will take more time when compared to HTTP. Also HTTP is good in performance to SOAP. Unless the business requirements needed we can go with HTTP when compared with SOAP.

When you need to Send Data to XI from a Webservice , your SOAP adapter is used.HTTP adapter is used when you want to post a HTTP request message from a web application to XI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NagaDurga,

Thanks for your suggestion, currently the HTTP service is hard to accept for the .NET developers.

As you mentioned, the SOAP can't send authentication related information, I have a question:

When we connect from .NET to PI via the soap adapter, how they could specify the logon data? such as the user id and password of the PI server, is that safe enough?

Regards,

Bean

former_member537867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi bean qian,

SOAP will be more secured when u r communicating with webservices.SOAP is an XML based protocol for exchanging information in a decentralized, distributed environment.

as mentioned in your reply, you prefer to the .NET connector if both the .NET and SAP belong to my company, could you explain more detailly about that?

Regarding this if both .net and SAP are with in the same landscape then u can directly use .net connector no need of going for SOAP.

SOAP is text based, it is able to move more easily across the firewalls than IIOP, ORPC or JRMP.

SOAP is based on XML, which is standard driven rather than vendor driven. Potential adaptors are less likely to fear vendor lock in with SOAP

Finally we can say that SOAP can be picked up by different transport protocol and delivered in different ways. For example, when used with HTTP it can be delivered to a web server, when used over FTP it can be deposited directly into a file system and when used with SMTP it can be delivered to a user's mailbox.

Regards,

Vinod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

You made me much more clear.

One more question, you have told me the advantages of SOAP, then could you please also describe me the disadvantages of .NET connector even both of the .NET and SAP are in the same landscaple, for example, can't monitor message, etc. I need to do a choice between PI and .NET Connector.

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Bean

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

SOAP adapters are used for communicating with a WebService to and from XI.

SOAP is use to convert the normal file in to the Xml format.

the soap is nothing but the simple object application protocol.

it is user in to consume , create a web service. and in creation of RFC.that is the main advantage of soap

the format ot soap is

Envelope

-->> Header

--->>>Application data

-

>>>>>data

out actual message in your data. and it is secure

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/69/a6fb3fea9df028e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

refer:

former_member537867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Thanks so much for your kind help, I know how to develop and config for a proxy-to-WS scenario, so that's not my point.

What I'm focus on is

1. the comparasion between the PI and .NET connector

2. if I choose PI and use WS scenario, what's the advantage and disadvantage of the soap adapter?

as mentioned in your reply, you prefer to the .NET connector if both the .NET and SAP belong to my company, could you explain more detailly about that?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Bean