cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling R3 Validations in a standard MDM iView

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I have to use standard MDM Portal iViews for my development, Is it possible to call R3 validations on these iViews?

e.g, I have a record details iView and i go ahead and update the record details. At the time of saving, can i call validations on R3 / webdynpro on the changes?

Regards,

Nitin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

If I have to use standard MDM Portal iViews for my development, Is it possible to call R3 validations on these iViews?

e.g, I have a record details iView and i go ahead and update the record details. At the time of saving, can i call validations on R3 / webdynpro on the changes?

- As far as I Understand this, If you are using the standard MDM portal iviews for your development they will picture your master data the way it is stored in MDM.it will manage the master data which is actually within MDM but using the thin client ie EP so executing the R/3 validations by calling them from th ERP system on the master data within MDM i feel is not possible.

- You can however replicate most the R/3 validation in MDM by creating them in the MDM data manager Validation tab.

- By Doing this the MDM validation will easily run on the master record from ep without any issue.

- You can ahndle R/3 validation like the Mandatory field validation by writing an null expression under Validtion tab in data manager or even by using the MDM field propertys like Required .

- Also the unique field validation can be taken care by the MDM field property Unique.

- Also for allowing only valid data within a field you can sue teh lookup concept where only the leagal value will appear in teh dropdown for teh rec creator to select .so in his way you can manage most of the prime requiremnet in R/3 using MDM itself.

- This is the manner in which we had handle the R/3 requirement when using MDM with EP.

Hope it helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Simona,

We are already working on most of the combinations you mentioned above. Its just that to implement it, i have to create custom iViews, which is tedious. Thats why i was looking for some way to improve the development style.

Thanks for the details, sure help summerize things.

Regards,

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

It is correct of you saying that using R/3 validation directly in portal without having to create them in MDM will definitely reduce the effort of designing.however this may not be achievable.

- I would just like to add that MDM validation work fine even with the portal standard mdm iviews.

- Even the unique property when set in MDM console replicates fine in the portal mdm iviews without any need of customization.

- As well as the lookups usage to restrict the user from selecting only valid data values in a field are also reflected well in the std iview.

So if you you wish to restrict your use of R/3 validations in MDM through portal only upto the few prime requirement then they can be met even without customization jst by setting the iview property correctly.But for futher detail validation you will require customizations.

Hope it helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Seems like i couldnt put forth my point, i am sorry for that.

In our scenario, the complexity of the validations is quite high for which we cannot bring all the validations to MDM., our validations are lying at 2 places, R3 and MDM.

The standard iViews would call only MDM validations at the time of submit. Now, if i have to call R3 validations also, i have to make a custom iView which would call R3 validations using BAPI calls and MDM validations using the APIs.

Which is LOTSA effort... That is why i was looking for some way (dirty or clean) to call R3 validations from standard MDM iViews.

I am working on mixing my efforts between standard iViews and custom iViews, once done, i'll buzz u all and tell how did i do it and how much did i save on efforts.

i might probably end up creating another item details iView template which would enable BAPI calls:-) and MDM validations....;-) sounds interesting???:-)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Seems Interesting.

Just a thought why dont you incorporate EPCF Eventing.

I dont know exactly whether EPCF is useful in your case or not but you can customize standard iViews to some extent.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not completely usable, but i will make use of it at places possible.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Would be creating a custom webdynpro iview which would do interact with MDM and / or R3 and any other system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

MDM Portal iViews just provide the frontend to access MDM functionality on portal but at the last its MDM only i.e. all the validations, assignments etc written in MDM will be executed in the background. Also we cannot customize standard iViews. So the requirement you are looking for is not possible with standard iViews but if it is a webDynpro iView then you can import the RFCs from R/3.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

nitin_mahajan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yea...that i am already doing, but just wanted to save some efforts:-)

Thanks