Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUA: SCUG - Transfer Users errors with Output Device does not exist

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

I'm currently setting up CUA on our ECC 6.0 boxes and ran into an issue when I run SCUG and try to transfer the users. We're in the process of upgrading to ECC. The target systems are upgraded copies of our current 4.7 target systems.

Currently we have CUA connecting to our DEV,TEST, PreProd, and Prod Systems.

The output devices only reside on the target systems. There are no output devices on our production CUA box.

I'm trying to setup the ECC CUA box and modeling all the settings to our current environment. Once I set the CUA setting, including the RFC's and ALE connections I ran scug and ran into the issue.

I only get the error where the Default Output Device is populated. Users with no Default Output transferred without any issues. I looked up notes in OSS and can't seem to find any on this subject.

Side note: If I remove the output device it transfers without error. Obviously this is not a solutions, I was merely testing out the scenario.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got this as well. It looks like a bug since it was not there prior to support pack 14 (7.0). The user is set up with "local" as a default print device even "local" has never been set up.

0 Kudos

Were you able to find any notes on this? I'm requesting access from our OSS super admins to create notes, until then I'm trying to find something online.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this...

In the CUA master go to SCUM -> Defaults tab -> set the "Printer Parameters" to Local.

Then run SCUG.

Edited by: John Navarro on Aug 27, 2008 8:18 PM

0 Kudos

Yea I tried that, although our live CUA has it marked as Proposal and I wanted to make sure the settings were identical to our production version, I set it to Local as a test. I received the same error message. =(

0 Kudos

How about setting up the troublesome output devices on your CUA master. I know it's kind of a workaround but setting up a few printers should not take a basis administrator more than half an hour, especially if they're never going to be used.....

0 Kudos

Did not find any OSS notes on this. Somehow the values got defined for some ids even though the device "local" does not exist - which is the reason for the error. I just removed them for now since I did not have time to enter an OSS note. My guess is that you don't have "local" set up as a device either - if it was valid then CUA would just distribute the values.

0 Kudos

We may have to consider this option but, I'd rather find the fix since we have over 1000 printers coming up in the list. We have about 18,000 active users and about 34000 shell accounts that will end up in the system. We're not going live anytime soon but, I need to find the answer soon, since we start testing functionality in October.

0 Kudos

Yea the errors actually state the Output device name, not just local.

P.S. i love how the forum has changed my display name everytime i've posted. My next post might just throw in my social security number. lol

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

there is just a little comment in SAP note #399917 (point 4).

As from my knowledge, the SCUM settings are not considered during SCUG. So setting

'output device' to local will not be a solution.

The standard way is to transport the ouput device information to your CUA-master system before taking over the users. (create transport in SPAD).

I have also another workaround for you gurus, but this will need to modify the standard coding for the time of taking over your users. Using this modification, only a warning message will appear and unknown printers will not be taken into CUA-master system.

Pls test this proposal carefully (coding is rather old....), this is just a suggestion !

Include LSUUCF01

FORM DEFAULTS_CHECK

• Spool: Ausgabegerät

IF NOT DEFAULTSX-SPLD IS INITIAL AND

NOT USER_DEFAULTS-SPLD IS INITIAL.

SELECT SINGLE * FROM TSP03 WHERE PADEST = USER_DEFAULTS-SPLD.

IF SY-SUBRC <> 0.

PAR1 = USER_DEFAULTS-SPLD.

CALL FUNCTION 'BALW_BAPIRETURN_GET2'

EXPORTING

TYPE = 'W' "'E' "Warning instead of error

CL = '01'

NUMBER = 29

PAR1 = PAR1

IMPORTING

RETURN = ERRORTABLE

EXCEPTIONS

OTHERS = 1.

APPEND ERRORTABLE.

ENDIF.

ENDIF.

I strongly recommend to undo this modification after you have finished SCUG.

Good luck, b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

Thanks Bernhard! The interesting thing about this, prior to this version, CUA didn't require the output device in the CUA-Master system. Our current 4.7 CUA system is on support pack 10 and doesn't require output devices in the master. I'm guessing we'll run into this issue if we upgrade our production environment.

In the meantime, we're probably going to upload all the printers, until we find a fix.

I'll pass on the code and see what it does. Thanks for the information.

We finally got access to create notes, if we get an answer we'll post it.

0 Kudos

Just came out of a meeting with the person involved with the current CUA. They ran into the same issue when they setup the box last year and fixed the issue with the same note as posted by Bernhard. In fact she replied with the exact code in her email, stating this was the note they used.

So I guess we'll be going with the "W" warning error as well. Altough I wonder how JC got his system to work without loading his printers, and what changed after support pack 14 that resulted in the similar issue?

I guess this will resolve this issue for us, unless we here from SAP.

Thanks!

Alex

0 Kudos

Our policy was always to NOT populate the default output device for users; rather leave them to specify this manually whenever needed. This also removes the risk of sensitive output ending up in the wrong location if a user moves office... then, before adding a new system to a CUA, we'd always go in there first, run SU10 and remove any existing entries for the output device.