cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development Configuration in NWDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are configuring NWDI and we found that there are 3 different types of development configurations can be done

1. Team - Oriented Development

2. Development with a Track

3. Layered Development.

I would like to know which will suit better, whether Development with a Track or Layered ?

Can i know in what kind of scenarios we can go for Development with Track and in what kind of scenarios we can go for Layered ?

Is there any document or best practices available for comparision ?

Thanks

Gopal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have read through the links but i was not able to find any concerete reason whether track oriented or layered will be the best. Is there anyother article ?

Thanks

Gopal

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

hope this will help you.

1. track development is when you need to maintain and support the no of versions of your product at same time.

e.g. your product its version is 1.0. and you make some significant change and make it version 1.1.(but the SC is same)

now you want to keep both the version 1.0 which is suitable for diff cutomers and 1.1 for other cutomers.(but the SC is same)

so you will need to diff tracks for 1.0 and 1.1 to work simultanously.(but the SC is same)

In all above scenario you kept a same software component.

I.e. a single SC can satisfy your product

but consider following case

2. Layered

e.g. 1

your scenario is your not going to keep version of same product, rather you want a diff product after each development.

so your first product has an software component firstSC.

now you second product has a software component secondSC. but it is mostly dependent on firstSC.(i.e. you want to use no of components from firstSC dont want to develope from scratch).

so you will make track in such a way that, your developed firstSC from first track directly goes into second track of secondSC.

e.g.2

Scenrio is your product scope is very large and time is less. so you convert it in no of SC's per module for which you have diff tracks. so that number of teams can work simultanously on their respective modules.

and finally these tracks are merged into final track which is used to release your final product. and its SC is combination of all ohter SCs of diff modlues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for the reply...

In my first scenario i.e. in Track oriented, the common SC will be in Track 1 (Version 1) and my significant changes will in Track 2 (Version 1.1) , So My Track 1 is dependant on Track 2 since i need to access my common SC. Won't it look like a layered approach? (Track 2 is dependant on Track 1 )

And in Scenario 2 i.e. in Layered the same thing happens like the Track 2 ( new prodcut) is dependant on Track 1 ( same old product ).

Can you say me what the track holds? like in a single track there can be any number version of a product or every single track will be having only one version of the product?

When Track 2 is dependant on Track 1 it is said to Layered, then where can be the Track Approach applied becoz in most of the real time scenario Track 2 will always be dependant on Track 1 in both Creating Versions or going for each version as a new product.

if am worng in any where please let me ....

Thanks

Gopal

snehal_kendre
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

Can you say me what the track holds? like in a single track there can be any number version of a product or every single track will be having only one version of the product?

A track take care of your development. Its have the DTR at one end and WAS servers at ohter end.

track holds information about DTR and server. When you check in and transport any activity Track knows where to send your source and where to deploy it.

Using a single track you can produce no. of versions of product. but if next version is released, you cant make any changes in prev. versions...thats why if you want to maitain two versions of product editable at any time..then go for two tracks.

In my first scenario i.e. in Track oriented, the common SC will be in Track 1 (Version 1) and my significant changes will in Track 2 (Version 1.1) , So My Track 1 is dependant on Track 2 since i need to access my common SC. Won't it look like a layered approach?

common SC means they have a same name. not like they have same no of components.

its like SAP_BUILDT 6.0, SAP_BUILDT 7.0 SAP_BUILDT 7.0 sp9 they have same name.

if a single track is used for them, then after releasing SAP_BUILDT 7.0 ,sp3 it is impossible to releas SAP_BUILDT 6.0 sp19

but it happen coz they have same name but two diff tracks so you can releseSAP_BUILDT 7.0 sp9

and SAP_BUILDT 6.0 sp21 at same time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Snehal

So you try to mean that each product will be having different versions inside a track in Track oriented approach and in Layered instead of a version it will be a new track itself?

When should i do my development configuration (Track / Layered ) i.e once i finish running "Initial setup of functional unit Development Infrastructure (DI all-in-one) " template?

Thanks

Gopal

Answers (0)