cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The request could not be submitted for background error with Crystal 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using crystal report 10 with oracle 10g database. Application is is developed on vissual studio.net 2005 (vb.net).

This application is installed on laptops with oracle personal database(10g personal) and on the desktop that uses oracle 10g. Desktop report works fine never had any problem. Only problem I am experiancing is form the laptop. Like I said same report works some times and fails some times with above error. It only fails form the laptop. Never fails form desktop application.

I am having crystal report problem. All reports works fine except one report some times get an error as follow.

"The request could not be submitted for background processes"

I believe when I have null values in one of the subreport this error comes up. I don't know where to look for this problem since it always works form desk top and fails on laptop.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prathmesh,

I am sorry I took long in responding your request. I was on vacation.

1)Both laptop and desktop has same oracle client. ODP.net version 10.0.1.2.0.

2)Registry entry is different because In laptop I have oracle personal installed along with oracle client odp.net. On desktop I only have oracle client odp. net.

3)I am launching report through vs.net application.

4) I have run the report from crystal report and it works.

5) When I enter values in the database where one of the subreport is fetching null values. Report works after changin null values to something else.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are having issue with .Net application then post your question here:

[.NET Development - Crystal Reports Forum|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/businessobjects-sdk-forum]

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Shweta

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There, I am using Crystal Reports XI v2 on Windows XP in combination with Business Objects Enterprise on a Windows NT server and I had the same problem: Error in File C:\Filename.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing.

I had never seen this problem before and I have a fleet of Crystal Reports running on the Business Objects schedule perfectly ranging in complexity from simple to straight out confusing. This one report was working fine if exported to PDF however as soon as I tried to export it using CSV format then either my Crystal Reports would die or the BO scheduler would return the above error.

After searching a few forums I figured I should do some investigation of my own as this error potentially has multiple causes. I employed simple trial and error methodology. I generated the report in Crystal and saved the report file u2018with datau2019 so that when Crystal died I could open the report again and not have to rerun it (to save time). I started by u2018suppressingu2019 all the sections of the report except for the main section where all the data was contained and then tried exporting the limited report in CSV format and it worked. Thus the main section of the report was not the issue. One by one I unsuppressed each section and exported in CSV until I found the section which was causing the error.

The cause of the error was the section with all my sub-reports (one of the eight sub-reports)! So I employed the same method as above (suppressed all sub-reports, then unsuppressed each one in turn and exported CSV file to determine which sub-report was causing the error). Once I found the single sub-report that was causing the error I noticed that some of the values my sub-report was producing were NULL values and I suspected this was the cause. I removed the NULL values from the sub-report, re-imported it into the main report (linking it using the same field) and proceeded to export the file in CSV format. I then saved the Crystal Report to the BO server and triggered the schedule in CSV format and everything worked out fine. Success!

As it was all working I did not investigate further so do not know the true cause of the problem but I would advise trial and error investigation isolating different sections of the report to determine which is causing the problem, then either remove, replace or recreate this section.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you please check for the following things:

1. Ensure that both the desktop and laptop are running the same version and type of Oracle client software.

2. In the registry editor, inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>SOFTWARE>>ORACLE folder all the folders and the 'keys' are identical on both the deskop and laptop PCs.

3.Are you opening this report in a Crystal Reports stand-alone application or via the Crystal Reports which is shipped with Visual Studio .NET (VS .NET ) application

4. If you are opening the report within VS .NET application could you pleas open it within a crysal report stand-alone application and then check for the results

5. You have mentioned about a possibility of a subreport fetching null values, so could you please provide some more informaion about it.