cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSP Applications : Load Balancing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we do load balancing for BSP applications using message server?. Although SAP recommends load balancing using

Web Dispatcher for BSP applications, we are not going for Web dispathcer due to business reasons.

So please let me know if we can obtain load balancing through message server for BSP applications. If we do so will it be effective as note 1040325 states

"This option is not possible if you use stateful applications (Webapplications that have a status in the background)."

Please advice me on this.

Thanks,

Vincent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier ,

Thanks for the inputs. Also in SE80 under properties of any BSP page i found a tab "Status" which has 3 options

unchanged

Stateful from now on

Stateless from now on

Out of these i have Unchanged. Does this also state that my BSP are stateless, as of now

Thanks,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again James,

>Out of these i have Unchanged. Does this also state that my BSP are stateless, as of now

This is one way of setting the statefullness but it can also be done by programmation.

This is the developpers business, don't mess with it because a BSP application is designed differently for statefull or stateless. So this check box is not a sure way to know, just an indication.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier ,

Thanks for the replies and clarification. Points awarded.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier ,

Thanks for the inputs. I am very new to BSP's and from the note i thought all BSP's are stateful.

Is there anyway to find whether BSP applications are statefull or stateless. Do i need to ask the ABAP guys to look into it.

Thanks,

Vincent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello James,

You can know very easily if your BSP are statefull or stateless.

Run a BSP application on a specific server (no load balancing).

Go to transaction SM04 on this server.

If you see your user logged permanently in as Type "Plugin HTTP", your BSP is stateful.

If you can see only very short connections only when interacting with the BSP, your BSP is stateless.

In other terms, with a statefull BSP the user has a context on the server and the load balancing will be much less dynamic. It will be the same as with SAPGUI, the server for your context is choosen at connection time and does not change.

For a stateless BSP, each http request is load balanced and can be served by a different AS.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>we are not going for Web dispathcer due to business reasons

I don't understand this as the use of web dispatcher is a technical decision and not a business one.

If it's a question of buying a server, it's not necessary : you can install the web dispatcher on the CI host for example.

>"This option is not possible if you use stateful applications (Webapplications that have a status in the >background)."

You are the only one to know if your BSP applications are stateful or stateless...

From the OSS note "No bookmarking is possible because an HTTP Redirect occurs."

This is real good reason IMHO to not use the Message server load balancing.

So using the message server is possible but you are asking for trouble...

Regards,

Olivier