cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to start ./sapinst without using the GUI mode.?

Former Member
0 Kudos

how do you start ./sapinst without GUI mode but by using just the text mode?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

thomas_valentini
Explorer
0 Kudos

you can do a remote installation by setting the DISPLAY variable to your client you work with.

so there is no need to have a graphical display on your server.

regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the value for the display variable to be set?..... i do not want the GUI to be present whle i am running sapinst.. it should be similar to installing old R/3s using terminals ie.. a command line interface method...

former_member227600
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to set the display variable using the following command.

export DISPLAY =IP address of your local System : 0.0

karan

thomas_valentini
Explorer
0 Kudos

don't forget to run a X-Server on your local system.

your favorite search engine gives you links for howtos for x-forwarding.

former_member227600
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks for correction

But without Xserverr how can we export display variable & how can we install SAP from a remote terminal.

karan

Edited by: karan Singh on Aug 29, 2008 8:36 AM

thomas_valentini
Explorer
0 Kudos

ok, if you don't want to use the very cool method with x11 forwarding, you may use the ./sapinst -nogui

see https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000359292008E (SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 - Installation Documentation for Linux)

--> 4.3.4 Performing a Remote Installation with SAPinst (Optional)

maybe also this is not the best method for you, but it seems, that a sap installation is not possible without a gui. somewhere must be a gui.

regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I don't think there is a text mode like R3SETUP or R3INST for sapinst.

If you want to install remotely what you can do is the remote installation which is written in SAP document, but not text mode.

Former Member
0 Kudos

just go through this, http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/sapr3.html

This might not meet your exact requirements, but i am sure this will answer most of your questions.

regards,

Niran.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Niran, the above mentioned really does not meet the expectations, because it describes how to install an SAP on an unsupported operating system. Also, Tony asked for sapinst and not for R3SETUP.

Tony, using sapinst, maybe the unattended mode is something you might look into. After each installation with sapinst it created an xml file with all values you have entered during installation. This xml file can be passed to sapinst to perform an unattended installation. No need to enter anything, all comes from the xml. Of course, you would have to change SID and SYSNR in the xml file before continuing ...

Thanks

Hannes

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hannes,

do you mean the keydb.xml file?

How can I start such an unattended installation with this xml file?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

as far as I know, the inifile.xml, which can be found in the sapinst folder after the installation, can be used for an unattended installation. I haven't done this myself but somehow you have to change this file to your needs and pass it to sapinst.

hth,

Hannes