cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS sqltools 'upgrade to 2005' or database copy' ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are upgrading our MS SQL 2000 32 Bit instance to MS SQL2005 64 bit running on Windows server 2003 64 bit, this is running ECC 5.

I have just successfully updated the DEV system with these steps :

Preserved the jobs/users by outputting to script

Detatched the DB

Uninstalled SQL2000 32 bit

Installed SQL 2005 64 bit

Attached the DB

Ran SAP MS SQL Tools using the option 'Upgrade to MSSQL 2005 or higher'

I did this on our DEV system 2 weeks ago without error and SAP/SQL have been running fine without errors, but then I re-read OSS Note 799058 before doing the QA SQL upgrade and it seems to say you should use the 'Database copy' option ? but this is the same the DB I am re-attaching, there is no SID rename and I am upgrading from sql 2000 32 bit to sql 2005 64 bit, so there is no straight upgrade path ?

Does anyone know the difference in the SQLTOOLs options 'Upgrade to MSSQL 2005 or higher' and 'Database copy' ? we have had no problems since upgrading 2 weeks ago, I am just concerned we might hit an issue and what is the option to use doing this on QA as we need a consistant environment.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may be still running in compatibility mode if you simply attached the database.

The SQL 2005 instance will house SQL 2000 databases if you simply attach them.

If you right-click on the database inside the management tools and go to properties, you will see the database is version 8. It should be 9 (2005).

Please check the SAP migration notes to verify that you go through the proper steps to migrate to 2005 from 2000.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joey

Thanks for the response.

I just checked and the compatibility version in the properties on the DB I upgraded is SQL Server 2005 (90), so it does not appear to be running in any compatibility mode.

A detatch and re-attach is a SAP support method to upgrade the MS SQL DB.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note 799058 (section 2) is very helpful.

Please make sure you perfomed all of the necessary steps in section 2.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP have responded to a message I raised, stating there is very little difference between the DB copy and DB Upgrade in the MS SQL tools :

'In the case of system copy, the logins are created new.

In the case of upgrade, these logins are already exists in the SQL release upgraded from. '

So it looks like the only difference is with the users, that I had preserved and recreated anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may want to convert the code page to BIN2 before you upgrade to SQL 2005. You can run non-unicode on BIN2 perfectly fine, and it makes future unicode coversion (if planned) easier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

how can I convert my database collation BIN to BIN2 at SQL2005, I mean, I can´t go back to SQL2000.

Thank's