cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we have a problem with logging. We use a tracer action block to trace error messages in the netweaver log. The action block has an error category "FATAL", but messages with category "FATAL" show up as category "ERROR" in the netweaver log. Is the "FATAL" level not supported?

Thanks,

kind regards,

Matthias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Instead of a Tracer action block, try the Event Logger. The Tracer action block is generally meant for troubleshooting from within the Business Logic Services editor rather than for general logging. Give that a try and see the results are more consistent.

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

thanks for your reply. I've already worked with the Event Logger, but when I realized that the Tracer output is also visible in the netweaver log I again used the tracer since its output is also visible in the workbench. However, when I use the Level "FAILURE" in the Event Logger Action Block, the entry in the log is an "ERROR" entry, the same as before.

Another Question: I get duplicated entries in the log. What could be the reason for that?

Regards,

Matthias

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias,

I am not sure why it is not passing through the correct error level. I will do some testing and see if I can duplicate it.

A word of caution on using the Tracer instead of the Event Logger. The new version of MII (12.1) is supposed to truly turn off the Tracer when running the transaction outside of the editor. Right now, it obviously does not turn it off.

I also questioned why there were two messages in the NW logs as it is still happening in 12.1 testing. I was told it was an issue with NetWeaver and how it handles the messages from MII. It is a minor issue in my mind, just clogs up the logs without doing any real damage to performance. Although I could see it being an issue if you were running too close to the edge of capacity.

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have just done some testing (MII 12.0.2), doing a trace and an event log, and the fatal severity does not show up, only "error".

I have also seen the duplicate entries. If you open the "Last 24 Hours" Log and the Column Customization and activate "Data Source" column, you see that the entries come from different sources:

- applications.log

- defaultTrace.trc

The "SAP Log" only shows one entry, because it only seems to display the applications.log.

Michael

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias,

I have tested it in 12.1 and it works correctly. A Fatal level of the Event Logger turns into a fatal severity in the NetWeaver log (still seeing it twice). The Tracer does not show up at all in the NW logging.

Having problems getting into the 12.0.4 NW log viewer, but I consider Michael Otto's confirmation sufficient. If I can get into it later on, I will report what my testing results are.

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike, hello Otto,

thank you for your investigations. Good to know the upcoming behaviour of the tracer action block. Are there other things that change or will no longer be available in version 12.1?

Best Regards,

Matthias

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias,

There are a number of things which are changing and a number of enhancements which are being added. Included in the enhancements are multiple Y-Axes on charts, rotation of both X and Y axis labels and a number of other display template things. They are also rolling the wizards into the workbench, which is handy to have.

I am not sure if there are any which are not going to be present. The situation with the Tracer in 12.0 is that it is not working quite as originally intended. It was not supposed to be showing up in the NW logs at all as far as I know. It is only supposed to be active when executed from within the BLS Editor.

Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Just to follow up, I tested (in 12.0.4) both the Tracer and Event Logger. With Fatal for the Tracer and Failure for Event Logger, they result in Error messages in the NW Log Viewer. When both were changed to Error, they still resulted in Error messages in the NW Log Viewer. So it is posting the log with the wrong severity and the Tracer should not be posting anyway.

Regards,

Mike