cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - Beginner question(s)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We (Post Danmark) are just starting out with SAP and we are fairly certain that we are going to need some sort of Master Data Management approach (and perhaps tool).

We have a number of persons in the business that are responsible for the definition of one or more types of Master Data.

I would very much like to know more about what Master Data are needed in which modules/applications (in SAP).

What I'm are looking for is a list (per module/application) of what Master Data is required, when the module/application is installed without modifications.

Ie.

- SD needs Customer, Sales Price, Material/Product etc.

- CRM needs Customer, etc.

Does such lists exist, can they be extracted from R/3 or ... ?

Thanks (in advance),

Christian Roig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

MDM as delivered currently works with the following Master Data objects. I would expect you could expand this list with some custom development, but remember this is a new module...

Business Partner (ie. Vendor Master and Customer Master)

Products (Material Master)

Product Structure

Technical Assets

Documents (where linked to other Master records)

Change Masters (where linked to Master records)

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I don't know if there is a list of all master data types used within SAP solutions and applications. But as a first approach you:

- Can call the Service Marketplace using the alias SAPTERM, enter <i>master data</i> and display the glossary entries, or

- Display http://help.sap.com/ and enter the search term <i>master data</i>. As a result, you should get information on master data used by major SAP solutions or applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I'm not authorized to use the SAPTERM alias, and the search returns approx. 9.000 hits.

I'll try to build a better search and see if I can narrow the result-set down to a manageable size.

I'm surprised that there are no 'lists' of Master Data 'objects' per solution and/or application.

I have been told that it should be possible to 'extract' the information from/via Solution Manager, after one has defined which processes one is going to use.

- Has anyone tried this ?

HighAlpine
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Both Solution Manager and it's predecessor (Value SAP framework), have good master data overview lists. The following is an extract straight from ASAP ( the full list is over 1000 lines long, so I'm not going to post it all, here).

If this looks good, let me know and we'll try and work out how to send you the full listing via email, rather than fill this forum with data.

Thanks, Andy

General Master Records

Material Master

Material BOM

Service Master

Batch

Central Business Partner

Serial Numbers

Handling unit

Work Center

Customer Master Record

Vendor Master Record

Bank/Bank Directory TR/FI

Taxes

Product Data Management

Change master

ECR/ECO

Leading change master record

Change package

Object management record

Revision level

Single Dependency

Dependency net

Configuration profile

Production Planning and Procurement Planning

Sales and Operations Planning

MRP/MPS/Long-Term Planning

Procurement

Buyer

Purchasing Info Record

Manufacturer Part Number

Conditions

Source List

Quota Arrangement

Standard Service Catalog

Model Service Specifications

Service Condition

Message Conditions

Delivery Address

Vendor Rebate Arrangements

Settlement Accounting

Release Strategy with Classification

Vendor Evaluation

Production

Discrete Production

Repetitive Manufacturing

Process Manufacturing

KANBAN

Sales and Distribution

Business Partner

Products

Assortment

Agreements

Conditions

Output

Transport

Foreign Trade

etc.....etc.....etc....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

This looks very promising indeed, I would be very interested in either receiving the list via email or alternatively you could let me know how I should go about extracting the information from our local Solution Manager installation.

Another question... Are the various Master Data described in Solution Manager, Ie. with a definition and/or description and perhaps some examples ?

Are the different Master Data categorized, Ie. :

'Basic'

- such as Company Code, Currency

'Normal'

- such as Supplier, Customer, Product/Material

'Tech.'

- such usergroup, printer

Mappings

- such as Product_ID 247 from system A corresponds to SAP Product_ID 7756488391

- - -

If anyone has used a different approach to obtain a list (or a number of lists) showing which Master Data is needed by SAP as a whole or by the individual solutions and/or applications, then please post some information about that too.

- - -

Thanks,

Christian

NB!

Here is my email, just in case you need it : cr@post.dk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

I am interested in the complete list. My questions were similar to those from Christian Roig. Can you please mail it to me? My ID is: pradeepkhanna@hotpop.com

-Thanks,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also am interested in complete list. I currently don't have Solution Manager.

This would be great, I have been searching for this.