Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole Offline BRARCHIVE with help of BRTOOLS

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

My requirement is i have total 1,329 files in my ORAARCH folder. I need to take brarchive of all the 1,329 files at a single stretch. In my INITSID.SAP file i have maintained as

backup_type = offline

backup_dev_type = disk (iam copying it to a local disk)

compress = yes

archive_function = save

archive_copy_dir = F:\oracle\KSM\sapbackup.

In BRTOOLS i have choosen ---4

then 2 but when iam using BRARCHIVE function it says it has only found 512 offline files for BRARCHIVE function.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I faced this problem earlier.

I took the Archive log backup two times first is for 865 files & second one is for remaining.

I also suggest to change below BRARCHIVE parameters.

archive_function = save_delete (It will copy the Archive log to copy_directory & delete it from ORAARCH directory.)

archive_copy_dir = <LOCAL_DISK PATH>

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Shambo

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

It seems everyone has provided me the solution. So i think one thing is confirm saying that once the BRARCHIVE backup is done when we run the second time process it will not claculate the Archive logs which are already been backpuped.

Can some one please share their backup strategies how they planned in real time enviroment throgu db13 t.code or brtools.

Immediate help will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi,

When taking backup using DB13 YOU can select brarchive function -cds ( create second copy,delete and first copy serial.) same you can update in init<sid>.sap.

Normally this archive function depends on your requirment.

It will create a second copy and delete those files from archive directory to avoid archive stuck

Regards

Ashok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For medium scale database you can schedule :

"Whole Database Online Database + Redolog backup daily" at night on tape.

(You can set your backup cycle according to the tapes availability)

Monthly or by monthly

"Whole Database Offline Database + Redolog backup daily" at night on tape.

Daily OS Backup of archive redolog files on tape with duration of every two hour or less is good practice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chiranjeevi,

It may have happened that the rest of the files 817(1329 - 512) have backed up previously by some one and that log file still exist in the system.When you are taking backup of it will read the log and it will not take the backup files.

If you want to take total backup delete those log and take back up.

Regards

Ashok

former_member657020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

These 1329 log files are set of August month.I have been carrying the backup and brarchive from db13. but now i want to collect whole 1329 log files in a single backup and name it as August backup.As for i could not get the single strech brarchive function from db13 t.code so iam planning to retreive all the 1329 log files through a offline backup with the help of brtools.

Can someone kindly suggest me the best option and changes in initsid.sap files for executing al the 1329 brarchive log files.

Immediate reply is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

this seems to be a one-time task.

So why not manually copy archive files to your 'August_backup' directory?

brarchive hasn't an option for saving the same files again and again. This is not the way it works, and imho you don't need it. Copy files to disk once, and from there you may save them to tapes, using your usual operating system backup scheme.

But if you really insist on it: Ashok Dalai already gave the answer:

Delete the old log file.

This means: Delete, or rather rename, your arch<SID>.log file in saparch directory.

And change the archive_copy_dir in your init<SID>.sap.

hope this helps