cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation Server vs msi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy GUI to all the PCs and having read the documentation "SAP Front End Installation Guide - Release 7.10", where it says that the SAP Installation Server can "push" GUIs to PCs.

Does it mean that I can do away with the creation of msi packages?

Anything, pitfalls, etc that I should look out for when setting up the SAP Installation Server?

Thanks !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. And what you particularly want? If you have "installation server" (actually it is a copy of your DVD disk and small operations for installation, read in guide), you can create packages (actually it is area data set about components which you wish to install) and after execute small "command" on frontend PC to install it, LSH helps in this process (read GUIDE). You can add this "command" in user "Logon script" if you have AD.

Any other question ? Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically, I would like to upgrade all my existing GUI from 6.40 to 7.10. I'm just trying to figure out which way is better - using the SAP Installation Server or msi package.

We are running AD and if used in combination with GPO, msi may be a better option has it has better control over the installation. That's just my opinion.

Do you have any experience with any or both approach?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We only test the Installation server (it works fine for as), but some users have a troubles : (Whether I do not know it is connected with a installation server or not).

In any case we must use Installataion Server in our interprise, because our users do not have admin privilegies and we need use LSH for installation. Regards.