Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tables, Transactions and Auth. Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Does anybody have any material (a table, chart or even a text) which describes the semantic relations about transactions, the tables they change and how to find the authorization objects on it?

I'm an ABAP programmer, but at the present momment I'm working with basis and security, and that would be a pretty useful information.

Thanks in advance!

Rodrigo Hoffman.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are prepared to accept the fact that a transaction code will be the entry point, then you can display it in SE93 (or SE80...) and hit the "Object Hierarchy" button to display the various object types (tables, auth objects) associated with the transaction or the package. Obviously you need to know the transaction code etc first and the coding might contain more (outside of that object hierarchy..).

As there may also be many transaction codes, it is sometimes also usefull to look for corresponding BAPI(s) of that business process and work your way through that to understand the important concepts (regardless of the transaction code...).

Cheers,

Julius

3 REPLIES 3

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Does anybody have any material (a table, chart or even a text) which describes the semantic relations about transactions, the tables they change and how to find the authorization objects on it?

>

> I'm an ABAP programmer, but at the present momment I'm working with basis and security, and that would be a pretty useful information.

How funny you forgot to mention programs, being an ABAP programmer

Actually there isn't a common relation between transactions/tables and authorizations. It's basically just whichever AUTHORITY-CHECK statement the programmer put in. You can find some relation between transactions and authorizations in transaction SU24, but that list is far from complete.

Everytime I'm in doubt I resort to tracing a transaction/program with ST01 or even debugging.

Jurjen

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are prepared to accept the fact that a transaction code will be the entry point, then you can display it in SE93 (or SE80...) and hit the "Object Hierarchy" button to display the various object types (tables, auth objects) associated with the transaction or the package. Obviously you need to know the transaction code etc first and the coding might contain more (outside of that object hierarchy..).

As there may also be many transaction codes, it is sometimes also usefull to look for corresponding BAPI(s) of that business process and work your way through that to understand the important concepts (regardless of the transaction code...).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm not sure of any one stop shop for tables other than what's been said above, but there is a program you can run called RSABAPSC which might help. Enter in Tcode/report etc, in ABAP language commands put in AUTHORITY-CHECK recurrence level - the 'depth' of the scan of the programme, and then execute. It will crawl through your code and look for whatever ABAP language commands you have decided to search for. It's a good indicator, but often the values it returns - esp if your recurrence level is more than 5 - will include random authority checks that often aren't even called in the day to day execution of a program.

I'm pretty sure you can access this report from within the Developer workbench too, just not sure where.

My preference is always to use the ST01 trace, but this has helped on occasion too.

Cheers,

Di