cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentum vs SAP DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there ,

im new to SAP DMS, and im working on a company that needs to decide between SAP DMS and Documentum as its document management tool. could you please provide me some comparison hints to have a good decision?because one of our main concerns are the hardware requirements for each tool wich we have no info about so if you could please help me on this issue i'd appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Marcus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

For similar work which we came across, just call SAP they will provide free comparison excel sheet between sap and documentum parameterwise very clearly.

Anirudh,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anirudh,

Do have that spreadsheet? could you provide me please?

Because if i ask SAP they might take some time and i have some urgency on that.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Former Member
0 Kudos

i should probably leave my

marcus.houston92 at google com

please if you have that comparison, please provide me.

Thanks.

Marcus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

If u hav got that comparison kindly send it to me, i hav a similar requirement.

abhishek.aynipully at google.com

Thanks and regards

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I dont have much of a comparison on both but i have something that a DMS spetialist sent me and i can share with you. This is what he told me:

"*To be honest, when it comes to a documentum vs SAP discussion, for any customer running SAP, I'd go with SAP DMS. SAP DMS will match Documentum function for function and SAP DMS has advanced functions like CAD integration in SAP that Documentum cannot offer. For example, if you integrate CAD into DMS, you can create a drawing and then automatically build the equipment and function location structures in SAP from that drawing...that is something Documentum can't compete with. It also integrates into your PLM processes like engineering change management.*

Often people opt for Documentum because of usability, but to be honest, if you do a true cost comparison, the cost of implementing Documentum will be much higher because:

a) you will be paying implementation costs for both products

b) you will be paying additional licensing for Documentum

c) you will be paying additional maintenance for Documentum

*d) you will be paying additional consulting to integrate SAP and Documentum *e) you will have a integration issues every time you have an upgrade with either Documentum or SAP because versions may not be compatible+*

If you are concerned about usability of SAP for non-core users or for people who don't currently use SAP, consider this: The cost of developing some guided procedure style interfaces for SAP DMS which are simple to use would be a fraction of the cost of your Documentum licensing, so even if you develop these, its going to be cheaper to implement SAP.

The biggest concern however and where SAP has a bad name with DMS implementations is using inexperienced consultants for implementations. Its not a difficult module to configure, but its incredibly difficult to design a system for a customer specifically because its designed to be enhanced and most people don't add the relevant enhancements. Whatever happens, make sure you use a lead consultant with at least 4 or 5 implementations behind him, not a PM guy who knows a little of DMS or it will lead to failure."

Regards,

Marcus

Answers (0)