cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous System Copy (SAP 46C) possible from Oracle 9.2 to Ora 10.2. ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

one of our 46C-Systems has to move to a different server and should be upgraded from Oracle 9.2.0.6 to Oracle 10.2.0.4.

The customer likes to have done an Export / Import - for a general reorganization of his data.

Is it possible to use Export/Import here ? So that we don't have to install Oracle 9.2 on the new server and don't have to do the Upgrade there ? Is this supported by SAP ? Can somebody tell me, where to find information if this is possible AND supported or not ?

Thanks !

Helga

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

you can definitely do it but why not you advise your customer to upgrade to Higher SAP release and since customer is moving to new hardware systems ,why not upgrade.

Just give thought on it.

I am really not selling sap here but just a suggestion.

Thanks

Amit

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - you can do that and your customer is right

The R3load export is database and OS independent so it doesn´t matter if you import it into the same database or a higher version or into a different database.

If you install new, make sure you use the correct CDs and the appropriate EXT or EX2 kernels.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe you can answer me some more questions...

Is it also possible to change the SAP SID for the Import ?

Have you done by yourself such a heterogeneous System Copy, which includes the change of Oracle-Version and change of SID ?

I need an estimation how much time is needed for the export / import scenario. The DB is about 400 GB. Can you give me a rough idea for a best-case and a worst-case run ? (Including preparations)

Do I need a migration-key from SAP and have we to pay for that ?

How much space is needed for the export ? Is the estimation of 10% of the DB-size still a good value to calculate with ?

I'm looking forward to your answers, Helga

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it also possible to change the SAP SID for the Import ?

Yes - but keep in mind that your customer may have connections to other systems (BI, CRM etc.) which need to be changed (their RFCs) to reflect that change.

Have you done by yourself such a heterogeneous System Copy, which includes the change of Oracle-Version and change of SID ?

Yes. And: this is not heterogeneous since you neither change database nor OS.

I need an estimation how much time is needed for the export / import scenario. The DB is about 400 GB. Can you give me a rough idea for a best-case and a worst-case run ? (Including preparations)

This depends on many factors: Speed of I/O subsystem, number of R3loads used during export/import, database configuration... there are many things you can do to speed up the load: unsorted export, using ROWID, splitting tables... however, all those things are system dependent. Run an export on a weekend (with a running system) to estimate how long it will take you. There´s also the possibility of running export and import in parallel (using migration monitor).

4.6c installations on Oracle 10g are.. let´s say, not really "straighforward" because at the time that version got released there was no Oracle 10g. You need to build your own "installation environment" using special CDs/DVDs to be able to install 46c on Oracle 10g (you didn´t specify which OS you use).

Do I need a migration-key from SAP and have we to pay for that ?

No migration key needed since your copy is homogeneous.

How much space is needed for the export ? Is the estimation of 10% of the DB-size still a good value to calculate with ?

yes - you can calculate about 10 - 15 % (15 % is VERY high, it´s more likely under 10 %)

I would do the following:

On low workload time (maybe weekend) I would export the system using the newest tools available (means, 46D_EXT kernels) and check how long it will run. Then iterate possibilities (table splitting, unsorted exports etc.) to speed up the export. When you have the new machines I would test the whole procedure at least two times before doing it productively to optimize the whole process.

Markus