cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP WAS NOT STARTING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Here it goes from a newbie. I had installed SAP WAS yesterday and it was running absolutely fine. I changed my machine name and restarted it and after that the server stopped working. Is there any dependency on the machine name? Initially in the SAP Management console there were two instances, now after changing my machine name i have 4 instances.

The SAP Management console, shows Jcontrol.exe J2EE server stopped. I would like to send a snapshot, but im afraid that's now allowed here.

Also, I looked into the services console in my control panel and most of the services w.r.t WAS are not starting.

Kindly help.

GodSpeed.

Bhardwaj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Saurabh,

While installing SAP WAS you must have noticed that SAPINST asks for the machine that will be used as Central as well Database instance.Since the installation files are having the old datathe server isn't starting. Try changing the name of server to old one and then try to again restart the server and susequently SAP. Otherwise you need to make changes to all the files where the system name is used.

Let us know if this worked for you.

With Regards.

Ruchit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leonardo/Ruchit,

Thanx for your reply,can i get a list of files from somewhere in which i have to change the machine name? I do not want to go about reinstalling the whole thing again. Also, knowing more about internals always helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Saurabh,

The installation would have created <b>sap_instdir</b> inside which you have log and other files related to your SAP Installation.

Look for the properties file. then Change your system name to the one mentioned in that property file.

If you want to do the otherway round-change the properties of your server to your new name, its a painful process, instead you just reinstall the server.

Regards

ak.

PS: Don't forget my points if this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

As a rule, the host name should NOT be changed once SAP has been installed on it. Your best bet would be to rename the machine back to the original hostname.

It is possible to change the hostname and hack each file so that SAP comes up . Unfortunately some one would need the time to meticulously change each setting, and then this would need to be regression tested, and probably still would not be supported by SAP.

Apparently no one on this forum has tried such a procedure. And that is probably so because it is not as easy as changing host name in some .ini file.

My advice to you would be to either rename the machine to old hostname, or re-install SAP if you want to keep the new host name.

This is definitely not what you wanted to hear, but unfortunately I am not aware of other options ...

Thanks,

Sanket

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Thanx everyone for your suggestions, I have reinstalled SAP WAS and now it is working fine. Thanx again for all your help...

Sanket, Can i have ur yahoo messenger ID so that i can trouble you with some more problems .

Regards

Bhardwaj

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.

At the time, I decided to reinstall it since I had no data in it.

If you have nothing to loose, reinstall may be an easy but long solution.

Check:

Message was edited by: Leonardo De Araujo